Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
41887.40 in reply to 41887.35
Date: 9/20/2008 5:47:52 PM
Le Cotiche
III.1
Overall Posts Rated:
i like to see the normal time out rules, that the coaches don't spare all 6 timeout for the last quarter and sometimes take 5 of it in the last minute(wich is PAINFULLY boring ;)).

fixed

This Post:
41887.41 in reply to 41887.39
Date: 9/20/2008 6:47:02 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
the coach already does that, he was objecting to the idea of giving US the ability to do so during the game
and i agree with him

I agree with that too. Not everyone has the time or the inclination to sit in front of the monitor for an hour and a half two or three times a day. Nor should they be required to.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
This Post:
41887.42 in reply to 41887.41
Date: 9/20/2008 7:16:57 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
How about this. Give the option to change tactics at every Q, only if both teams agree to be there by checking a box and submitting it before the game. This has to be set X amount of hours before the game. Maybe one or two.

If both teams agree that they want to participate in the game, the game engine doesn't calculate the game 15 min before the match, but calculates the outcome through quarters. After each Q, it takes up the new tactics and calculates the next quarter. You are just able to set the tactics you want to use.

If only one player clicks the box that he wants to coach the team, then the game will just calculate the game as if it were a normal game.

Not really sure if this is practical, but it sure would be fun to be able to do this. It makes the game more engaging and competitive. Especially if there would be a chatbox at every game. It would make this more interesting.

This Post:
41887.43 in reply to 41887.42
Date: 9/20/2008 7:19:50 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
How about this. Give the option to change tactics at every Q, only if both teams agree to be there by checking a box and submitting it before the game. This has to be set X amount of hours before the game. Maybe one or two.

If both teams agree that they want to participate in the game, the game engine doesn't calculate the game 15 min before the match, but calculates the outcome through quarters. After each Q, it takes up the new tactics and calculates the next quarter. You are just able to set the tactics you want to use.

If only one player clicks the box that he wants to coach the team, then the game will just calculate the game as if it were a normal game.

Not really sure if this is practical, but it sure would be fun to be able to do this. It makes the game more engaging and competitive. Especially if there would be a chatbox at every game. It would make this more interesting.

I am almost sure this is not fair on a number of levels. If nothing else, the games are supposed to be the same for everyone.

Plus, BB is not about you coaching basketball games -- it's about running a team. You're Danny Ainge, not Doc Rivers, to put it this way.

Last edited by GM-kozlodoev at 9/20/2008 7:20:33 PM

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
This Post:
41887.44 in reply to 41887.43
Date: 9/20/2008 7:37:19 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
If it's truly about just running a team, you shouldn't be able to set the initial line-up and setup the training regime. That would be the coach/trainer job as well.

It seems pretty fair to me. It only applies to the teams that are participating in that match and only them. Other teams have no influence on that match whatsoever, with or without the changes made during the Quarters. If both teams are allowed to change during each Q than both teams have the same chance. But i can see where you are coming from that some people might feel that some have more control than others due to this.

Any other unfairness factors i can't think of at the moment.

This Post:
41887.45 in reply to 41887.44
Date: 9/20/2008 8:06:32 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
If it's truly about just running a team, you shouldn't be able to set the initial line-up and setup the training regime. That would be the coach/trainer job as well.

It seems pretty fair to me. It only applies to the teams that are participating in that match and only them. Other teams have no influence on that match whatsoever, with or without the changes made during the Quarters. If both teams are allowed to change during each Q than both teams have the same chance. But i can see where you are coming from that some people might feel that some have more control than others due to this.

Any other unfairness factors i can't think of at the moment.

Conceptually, you can always give the coach instructions about what to do with the squad, and how strictly to enforce your guidelines -- but it's him who makes the decision from the bench, not you.

As for fairness, look at it this way: 'managing your own team' will either be superior to simulating the game automatically, or it would be inferior. If it is inferior, it's useless. If it is superior, then everyone who's willing to waste the time is given an advantage over everyone else in their group who don't have the time to waste.

In all likelihood, it will be the latter case, and not the former. It does not affect just your chances in any given game, it affects your chances in the whole league over the course of a whole season.

And all in all, it is just not the way games like this one are designed to work, and work. Not having to spend an exorbitant amount of time on the game is what is going to let us widen the userbase -- otherwise you might as well play NBA Live with the AI.

Last edited by GM-kozlodoev at 9/20/2008 8:08:29 PM

This Post:
41887.46 in reply to 41887.45
Date: 9/20/2008 8:35:03 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
i would like to add this,

you cant be too sure what will happen during the game, if your afraid that the defensive strategy you made could be wrong during the game then probably there is somewhere we can improve.

true having an option to change during the game is something good, but your opponent on the other hand set up his offesive strategy only once and you set your defensive strategy only once.

now if it was implemented you have many or lets say 2 boxes for other options you just completely ruined the game and the fun of playing this game.

lets say you have an option to check another 2 options of what kind of defense if he plays what kind of offense shouldnt the offensive strategy also have this kind of option since he cant seem to get his offense going then he should change tactic also. in the end you just gave yourself . . . . . .

itslike your playing tic tac toe now instead of relying on what strenght your team is and exploiting his weaknesses your giving yourself so much assurance to make that game go your way.

all im saying is, and im not bragging. just do a little scouting on what kind of offense his team is playing, then check the team stats and the roster here you can already have a picture what your opponent is.

even if he played a different offense and its not his strenght most likely the GE will still adjust his game but if your ready for his team then you wont just give him the game youll give it 100%

there is no such thing as the most effective defense for inside play is 2-3 and also outisde offense can be won by 1-3-1 or 3-2 100%.

also even if you have the most effective strategy , breaks of the game will hurt you such as injury or fouls

just work on your team what is his strenght, i know its not easy as i have to spend a lot of time here devicing a strategy and even shuffling players out of position.

This Post:
41887.47 in reply to 41887.35
Date: 9/20/2008 8:58:05 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Only way to waste a timeout is not use it.

sometimes take 5 of it in the last minute(wich is pretty boring ;)).

Its not boring if you have a chance to win, but it is frustrating if you have a chance to lose.

This Post:
41887.48 in reply to 41887.47
Date: 9/20/2008 9:07:55 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
a waste of a timeout is a unesseary use ;)

And for it's boring when the last minutes takes +3 extra minute through timeouts, even if i'm going to catch up ...

And normal coach can't spare they time out for the last quarter, i'm not surehow the rules are exatly in the NBA but i expect that the coach had to take at least 2(i would say 3) timeouts in the first half, and 4 till the end of quarter 3. So let him take the time out early, and when everything running perfext he could take it to change some players etc.

This Post:
41887.49 in reply to 41887.45
Date: 9/20/2008 9:17:09 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
In this game, you pretty much play the part of the coach. You set up R&G and M-to-M and you can expect them to play it for the whole match. The only thing you can't control are substitutes. I've never seen the coach suddenly switch to a look-inside offense. You can also expect that the initial line-up you set-up will play as the line-up you've setup. Starters will player around 35-48 and backups will play the remaining time. It pretty much feels like a coach without full control over what my players are doing. I can only tell them how to play once and that is before the match. The real coach will just sub people from time to time based on fouls and stamina. And that's what annoys me.

The suggestion works in both ways though. It's not always superior. It can be both advantageous or disadvantageous. It has two sides...

Let's say that if Team A would have won if it was calculated normally. It would be have been disadvantageous to manage it by Quarters. And vice versa. This is in my opinion more challenging and fun compared to 1 strat setup.

The teams that don't wanna do this still need to win their own games to compete. This will be just normal matches against the other teams. No disadvantage or advantage. Just same old.

The only difference is the standing will be more dynamic because of this. How so? Well teams that should have won with the normal type games might have lost due to better decisions made by the other team during the quarter game. Teams that win all the time might get an upset because of this and they only blame themselves and not the game-engine for making poor choices for you. It can flip 2 ways.

I wouldn't say that this would be a pure game of Rock,paper and scissors, because a 2-3 zone doesn't have to beat a low post game, but it often seems like it because you're only allowed to set it up once. With the suggestion of quarter decisions, you won't have to sit and say: "omg, i picked the wrong tactics... let's see if this works out..." It's pretty much tactics with the quarter decisions.

It may be too hardcore for casual players, but it sure would have been a great feature if implemented. It would certainly make the game more interesting and challenging even if you don't wanna manage it by Quarter. Just my 2 cents....

But you're right, maybe i should just play football manager live instead. It's pretty much Hattrick/BB but with real(time) management/coaching involved :)

Last edited by Legen...Riceball...Dary! at 9/20/2008 9:22:36 PM

This Post:
41887.50 in reply to 41887.48
Date: 9/21/2008 6:42:38 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Timeout changes your teams offense and defence to better suit for opponent's style of play, so its never unnecessary. ;)
BB doesn't have NBA or FIBA rules,but more like a mixture of both and some own BB-rules (atleast about technical fouls and timeouts).

Coaches job is to make anything he can to help team win. Timeouts are his way of doing this. I think his current attitude on timeouts is biggest flaw in his actions to do so. I'd fire him if I could. XD