BuzzerBeater Forums

BB Global (English) > Point Guards in Buzzerbeater

Point Guards in Buzzerbeater (thread closed)

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
155542.42 in reply to 155542.41
Date: 8/30/2010 5:59:45 PM
Freccia Azzurra
IV.18
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Slaytanic
You can have a good assistman with lvl 9 but the condition is that the rest of your players have lvl 3 or lower, that's the main point. If you've one lvl 15 and two lvl 13 hardly you'll have an high assists number

1990-2022 Stalinorgel - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV-Xppl6h8Et

This Post:
155542.43 in reply to 155542.41
Date: 8/31/2010 12:32:41 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Those PGs who have got far enough to get to around 8 assists or above with 14+ passing in this game have terrible shooting % even with sensational JS, proficient JR and importantly proficient+ experience. There's a few such players on the TL who are averaging 29-40% from the field even when they have big men on their team with over 50% shooting. Such poor decision making at the point? Is there a basketball logic to this?

you will maybe not miss that much assist when you play another PG without his passing skill, but you will definately miss a lot of points when your PG is a weak passer.
Maybe his effort isn't reflected good in the stats, but in the game i could say you for sure that there are "courtleaders" at the PG spot, and when you are used to european "Assist"(who have higher standards)

maybe another reason would be that those things, ain't happen in a simulation:

"The Jazz guys were pretty open about their liberalities. ... John Stockton averaged 10 assists. Is that legit? It's legit because they entered it. If he's another guy, would he get 10? Probably not.""
"though the habit of fudging statistics upward was practically an organizational, if not leaguewide, imperative."
"Note that he recorded 50 steals in Vancouver and 29 elsewhere, and that he blocked more than three times as many shots at home as he did on the road. Today, as he calls up the numbers on his computer, Alex laughs. He sounds almost embarrassed. "The blocks," he says, "are atrocious.""

http://deadspin.com/5345287/the-confessions-of-an-nba-sco...

This is also a intresting story:
http://deadspin.com/5336974/how-an-nba-scorekeeper-cooked... - the making of an Assist rekord for Nick van Excel(it is also linked in the previous article)

Last edited by CrazyEye at 8/31/2010 12:40:01 PM

This Post:
155542.44 in reply to 155542.43
Date: 8/31/2010 4:01:53 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
That's a very interesting article. I didn't know it was like that. But guys like Stockton, even if some of their assists were fudged it would still be a small percentage of their total. I have no doubt he'd average close to the 10 mark anyway.

But the point I was trying to make is that master PGs should not be making the kind of poor decisions that they do make in this game. If a high ability PG with proficient experience is going to take so many bad shots that he averages 35% from the field then there's something amiss.

This Post:
155542.45 in reply to 155542.44
Date: 8/31/2010 7:52:45 PM
Overall Posts Rated:

But the point I was trying to make is that master PGs should not be making the kind of poor decisions that they do make in this game. If a high ability PG with proficient experience is going to take so many bad shots that he averages 35% from the field then there's something amiss.

i think that is more a problem of the shooting percentage here, especially when a player shots also some 3 pointer like a PG(+ Guards take more last second shots in my experience)

So 35 isn't really bad, but lot better then 40 is pretty rare for guards in this game and even good big guys just shot 50%. And if nobody else shots much better(or in case of big guys have trouble to get always in position to score), such a shot isn't considered bad.

This Post:
155542.46 in reply to 155542.45
Date: 8/31/2010 8:34:40 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Seems to be a result of players with low passing skills moreso than a GE problem.

There was a player in my league averaging 11 assists per game on a last place team with phenomenal passing.

So I assume people could have high assists numbers if they have high passing.

This Post:
155542.47 in reply to 155542.46
Date: 9/1/2010 5:16:49 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Seems to be a result of players with low passing skills moreso than a GE problem.

There was a player in my league averaging 11 assists per game on a last place team with phenomenal passing.

So I assume people could have high assists numbers if they have high passing.

or a question about relation, i could understand when people argue about shooting percentage/assist numbers - and i don't think that the argument is good that you could reach those stats with player who are at a totally different level.

Yeah it is right that 10 Assist is a result of a superior passer, but i think in your case he is close to a double passing value then the opponent OD(and far more then his teammates), and this is probadly the in league comparision of Stockton, Nash and Co. it is more like those players in the third or fourth league.

To be honest it isn't a big problem for me, because passing is worth the training and the money you spend for it(at least for me).

This Post:
155542.48 in reply to 155542.47
Date: 9/1/2010 9:45:05 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Not sure if it was discussed or not but remember that the number of passing depends not only on the passing-skill and the other players' ability to score or pass. The number of assists also depends also on the full skill-set of the player. Shooting and Driving damage assists number. That means that player will often try to score instead of passing. Example: (5830219). He could have assisted more times if he lacked driving. As the most of his scoring attempts are made with driving and not JS(he lacks it).

So not only simple passing skill has an influence on assists but the all skill-set.

I'd make a list of the factors that influence:
1. The skill set and the player's position.
3.The offensive tactics
2.The ability of the other players to score/assist
4.The defence of the opponent.

This Post:
155542.49 in reply to 155542.48
Date: 9/1/2010 10:13:25 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
That's an ugly example. 36% shooting from a PG with that salary? I don't get it. If he's a good driver why doesn't he try to drive and dish instead? A coach would tell him to make more turnovers if he had to rather than take so many poor shots.

I like PGs, in fact the thing I like most about basketball is how guys like Rondo orchestrate the offence. Seems like if you try to create that type of player here he's going to cause a great deal of annoyance by continually taking bad shots. And he won't make enough assists.

I just did a search on the TL with >sensational passing and <respectable JS,JR and found some woeful shooting nos. There are PGs of a level 16 passing with strong experience shooting 28% for the season. On mid-table teams playing look inside. Clearly the engine isn't kind to PGs.

This Post:
155542.50 in reply to 155542.49
Date: 9/1/2010 10:57:32 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
That's an ugly example. 36% shooting from a PG with that salary?

I wanted to get simply-passing PG, I waited for a long time and I couldn't do it more in order not to loose much in the league. BTW, my PG has
Driving: marvelous 15
Inside Shot: mediocre 5
Strange that he can't score more when he drives..

Clearly the engine isn't kind to PGs.

I see that most of the PGs have too much of driving. I think that is one of the main reasons of ugly shooting.

This Post:
155542.51 in reply to 155542.50
Date: 9/1/2010 11:04:20 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I see that most of the PGs have too much of driving. I think that is one of the main reasons of ugly shooting.

Driving improves the % of shot attempts made, it helps the player to score without the need of a good assist.

PD: The best PG's are those who have high driving(and also the SG's ;) )

This Post:
155542.52 in reply to 155542.51
Date: 9/1/2010 11:10:04 AM
Overall Posts Rated:

Driving improves the % of shot attempts made, it helps the player to score without the need of a good assist.

PD: The best PG's are those who have high driving(and also the SG's ;) )

Then what does PG lack having Dr=15? Last 2 games he played as SF in offence.

Advertisement