BuzzerBeater Forums

BB Global (English) > taking advantage of the mismatch.

taking advantage of the mismatch.

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
31707.44 in reply to 31707.40
Date: 5/19/2008 7:43:54 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Open up training to all positions all skills!

Erm, why? So that your center can play SG? Doesn't make much sense to me :)

I guess because he can play his center not as a SG but as a C and still train jump shot for example.

Extremely easy. Play him at PF -- this is possible right now.

Your responses used to have some (albeit low) relevance. Now you are either being argumentative on purpose or just plain stupid. Maybe harsh but if not stupid then you are simply invalidating all the other posts you had where you just about managed to retain an ounce of credibility.

Its obvious why i play him at SG... and if you can work this out you would know I cant train him at PF...(could it be I want to train PA?) I am lobbying for a change as unless you have bots or extremely weak opponents you can only stick with the limited preset training options..

Or maybe I could suggest you ask for a transfer to Japan or me vice versa into your league.. at least this way i could squeeze 2 more games when I can play silly buggers with my line up (maybe even get a nice enthusiasm boost!)....

This Post:
31707.45 in reply to 31707.44
Date: 5/19/2008 7:51:09 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I indeed understand quite well why you play him at SG. Well, guess what -- it doesn't work, and this is done on purpose. There is a reason why each training regime has a 'Team' option. If you want to train centers at guard skills and at guard speed, you have to sacrifice. If you want to preserve your squad's full strength, training is slower. Tough.

Please note that the PF comment was directed to a guy who hadn't even bothered to check what you can and cannot train at each position with the regimes currently available.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
This Post:
31707.46 in reply to 31707.43
Date: 5/20/2008 4:24:53 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
at any serious competitive league you cant get by with a height advantage of that differential for long periods of a game with a zone. That is if he is in one of the two big man spots. I played high school, college and semi pro in my life and i'm a 2 guard who plays some small. I get by at small with bigger players who play outside but if they go to the post with 10cm it does not matter how good i am on defense i stuggle because i cant front them because of a lob pass and if i play behind them they shoot right over me. In a zone you will always have that same problem as well.

The game needs to have it balance off at some point with what guys can play what position to what ddegree and how well.

You got to know when to hold em, know when to fold em, Know when to walk away and know when to run. You never count your money when youre sittin at the table. Therell be time enough for countin when the dealins done.
This Post:
31707.47 in reply to 31707.46
Date: 5/20/2008 4:32:05 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
the poste 1.84cm man gibbs plays in germany for 2 seasons against bigger player in the Zone(look at his near distance 2 Point shots) and was the most effective player of the last season and the second this season ... And if you aren#t well trained or to soft to play in the painyour height is notall. So you could compete until a decent level(and gibbs made a good job even against uleb and euroleague teams, who play serious in our league), and he got some technik which was also like the hight was included into the skills.

This Post:
31707.48 in reply to 31707.47
Date: 5/20/2008 7:39:19 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
if Gibbs is areal player then tell me what his first name is and where he plays and then we will see if you are right. Their are ways around this but it is highly unlikely that he plays either of the big man positions in the ULEB Cup or the Euroleague.

You got to know when to hold em, know when to fold em, Know when to walk away and know when to run. You never count your money when youre sittin at the table. Therell be time enough for countin when the dealins done.
This Post:
31707.49 in reply to 31707.48
Date: 5/20/2008 8:02:58 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Jeff Gibbs plays for ratiopharm Ulm in the Bundesliga as their starting PF.

(http://www.eurobasket.com/team.asp?Cntry=GER&Team=127)

Made the all-star team last season too.

I agree with ksachs that this height issue is fairly unrealistic given it does not truly reflect real-world basketball, but it doesn't spoil the game for me. Changing the GE to account for height would create an interesting tactical aspect and have an effect on the transfer market too.

Not that the GE really needs changing, IMO, but I see your point, ksachs.

This Post:
31707.50 in reply to 31707.48
Date: 5/20/2008 8:29:08 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
i say he play against uleb and euroleagues team who play with full effort in league, and if you click on my link you know that he is called jeff gibbs. And if you german basketball a bit you know that he was way to high in his stats, a german television has take his size and there he was 1,84 and there the folding rule wasn't really "straight".

Edit: And don't compare your players with euroleague or uleb players, if you take that standards you would see those players even in BB got the right size(and strong aint strong)

Last edited by CrazyEye at 5/20/2008 8:30:20 AM

This Post:
31707.51 in reply to 31707.50
Date: 5/20/2008 8:40:53 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
What i can see is that he is on a team that is in 12 th place of 18 teams and that he is probably a small forward as they have at least 6 players who can play the big men positions. I cant see his stats from that link but i highly doubt that he is the starting power forward for them.

This Post:
31707.52 in reply to 31707.51
Date: 5/20/2008 8:47:23 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
http://basketball-bundesliga.de/linkit.php?menuid=269&topmenu=4&keepmenu=inactive

Imean those link, i give you before not the eurobasket link, the line up from Ulm was usually:

Joyce
Gallup
Wysocki/Emeka
Gibbs
Lucas/Finn

http://basketball-bundesliga.de/linkit.php?menuid=269&topmenu=4&keepmenu=inactive

here his his personal stats site from the BBL.

Year Ulm wasn't placed good at the end of the season, because they lost their Point Guard Bailey in the middle of the season and just have Joyce as backup ... in this situation gallup and even gibbs play as some bad backup Point guard. So gibbs plays on the 1,4 and 5.

If you don't believe me you could buy a game from Ulm at sportdigital.tv

Edit: a youtube link, the small round guy is gibbs _>

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=bZR-LR2XMt8 you see he is parking in the pain

alos on the german wikipedia he stands as PF/C, and if you understand some german you find a lot homepage who write the same.

Or try google with jeff gibbs small forward and power forward you would see a big difference.

Last edited by CrazyEye at 5/20/2008 9:00:05 AM

This Post:
31707.53 in reply to 31707.49
Date: 5/20/2008 10:39:05 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I agree with ksachs that this height issue is fairly unrealistic given it does not truly reflect real-world basketball

It does, though.

A really tall guy will end up with a bunch of rebounds just because he's tall, and he can snap up rebounds at, say, a strong rate.

Then you have a player of average height who uses his athleticsm, intelligence, and sheer will to pull down boards. He also does it at a strong rate, but for vastly different reasons.

NO ONE at this table ordered a rum & Coke
Charles: Penn has some good people
A CT? Really?
Any two will do
Any three for me
Any four will score
Any five are live
This Post:
31707.54 in reply to 31707.53
Date: 5/20/2008 10:49:58 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Yes, very true. But ksach's point is that height has no influence whatsoever on the game engine, which is not the case in RL, where small, dominant PFs and Cs are not the norm, rather something to be savoured.

I don't have an issue with it, FWIW, I think it's just a symptom of the youth of BB. Give it a few more seasons, and there'll be relatively far fewer small, dominant PFs and Cs, since having respectable ID, IS and RB will be less valuable due to the higher skill levels of trained players.

Advertisement