182276.47 in reply to 182276.46
Date: 4/23/2011 1:17:37 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
:D

This Post:
182276.51 in reply to 182276.41
Date: 4/23/2011 10:39:58 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Thanks for your questions, too. Always good to reasonably talk things out.

This Post:
182276.52 in reply to 182276.48
Date: 4/23/2011 10:42:16 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
In what context is SB too expensive? It could be a hint that the primaries of bigs are generally way too high, although this also could be a problem with the game.

This Post:
182276.54 in reply to 182276.53
Date: 4/25/2011 5:59:19 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I think you mischaracterize the situation by saying that there is a danger that they might do something based on the recent discussion. They may do something because several seasons of semi-completely ignoring 2-3 has left the game extremely unbalanced.

I obviously believe that Charles is right that under specific circumstances a 2-3 / SB combo is doable even in the current engine. But it's unclear what that means: even if there are circumstances in which SB helps, the other skills seem to be useful in a much larger variety of circumstances.

I think what Charles has to say goes hand-in-hand with the sentiment that today's "behemoth" players are inefficient and should be trained differently, hence the salary penalty. There's an arms race to build the best guards and bigs, but efficient and versatile players for the most part don't exist.

When I saw the title of your post, I thought it was an argument against making changes that had not been announced enough in advance. I would have agreed with that, but I guess I disagree with the reason that motivates you: I don't find that the BB cave in too early to pressure on obvious point, but rather that they usually cave in too late (witness tanking: first they said there wasn't a problem, made up some numbers that you'd ber worse off, and then ended up seeing the light of reason and changing things anyway...)

I still think the salary floors were implemented too hastily, because some teams got screwed in the process for doing nothing but competing and promoting. I'm motivated because I think the BBs would make changes more effectively if the community didn't expect them to be made ASAP. Maybe it took a long time for the salary floors to be implemented, but how much of that was spent trying to tell the managers they weren't needed, instead of exploring solutions? My point is that the dialogue between BBs and community, and the resulting alterations made to the game, could be improved.

This Post:
182276.56 in reply to 182276.55
Date: 4/25/2011 6:16:13 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
You need to define "efficient and versatile" for me. I would be willing to share with you via BB-mail the skills of my players to see if they count as efficient enough for your purposes. I can promise you that they aren't good enough to run a 2-3 zone without major problems (and at a previous point I used to own players who by your understanding should be even more suited: still to no end).

More balanced, really. Especially at the forwards, and in the balance between OD and ID (ex: of course 2-3 won't work if your PF has low OD). Those balanced players aren't trained enough and they go for huge prices on the TL because they're so rare. Your team is awesome, no doubt, but if you have strong secondaries at every position and balanced forwards, you'd be one of the few.

Amen to that. I'm just not sure that a moratorium on all new changes is the answer.

Might not be. The idea would be to make the process of changing the game more arduous. There are other ways to do this, but a moratorium would be easy and would give the community peace of mind.

Advertisement