LSU college football

Set priority
Show messages by

To: red
This Post:
203956.49 in reply to 203956.48
Date: 12/13/2011 6:32:46 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I agree that there should be a playoff but everyone should be allowed to have a chance to win it all. Even if they are from a smaller conference like the Sun Belt. Then you can prove that teams like Boise don't deserve a chance to win it all.

To: red
This Post:
203956.51 in reply to 203956.48
Date: 12/14/2011 11:17:36 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Rather than go point by point again, I'll just say that if it were up to me and we had to have a single "national championship" game, I'd personally pick LSU and Oklahoma State. If I was asked to pick the #1 and #2 teams in the country, I'd choose LSU and Alabama. I suppose when it comes down, I'm glad they went with the rematch because it jibes with my personal view that calling the BCS game a "national championship" in the first place is absurd. If nothing else, maybe now the other conferences will at least listen when the SEC proposes a plus one format again (as they did in 2008, and only the ACC was in favor; the other conferences didn't even want to discuss it).

This Post:
203956.52 in reply to 203956.51
Date: 12/14/2011 6:56:50 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
From what I read, the SEC has changed their mind since they are realizing that the current system benefits them greatly...especially if the 2 teams only in the BCS is lifted....then the SEC bias in the preseason polls will allow for more SEC teams to make BCS bowls. I mean, South Carolina is ranked number 10 in the country....for the love of what is holy how do you lose your best offensive player and your QB and still get a top 10 ranking without beating anyone worth mentioning after it happened?????

This Post:
203956.53 in reply to 203956.52
Date: 12/14/2011 7:19:15 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
especially if the 2 teams only in the BCS is lifted....then the SEC bias in the preseason polls will allow for more SEC teams to make BCS bowls. I mean, South Carolina is ranked number 10 in the country....for the love of what is holy how do you lose your best offensive player and your QB and still get a top 10 ranking without beating anyone worth mentioning after it happened?????

I'm confused, how do preseason rankings affect BCS bowls? As for the SEC bias, South Carolina is ranked behind 4 other two loss teams and ended the season with a nice win against Clemson. The human polls have them lower than the BCS rankings do. If any team is overrated in the polls, it's Michigan State.

Last edited by Arthur Monay at 12/14/2011 7:25:54 PM

This Post:
203956.54 in reply to 203956.53
Date: 12/14/2011 7:44:56 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Preseason polls determine a ton! They shouldn't come out with them until the 8th week. I'll use my alma mater for example. OU is ranked #1 preseason. They were one of if not the highest ranked 2 loss teams even though they were thrashed by injuries. Finished at #19 which might be about right, but they were lingering when they probably shouldn't have been because of the preseason hype. Use Arkansas for an example. They beat 2 teams with winning records all season and they are ranked #6? How do they deserve that ranking? Yes their losses are against #1 and #2, however they got blown out in both games and played a lot of mediocre teams very close. Tell me who they beat to deserve their ranking?

At least MSU has a lot more quality wins. South Carolina beat Georgia and Clemson, two teams that barely inside the top 20. They lost to Auburn....of course Auburn is another example! They beat SC but should have lost to Utah State! Their preseason rank has allowed them to hang on even though they have lost 5 games that made them look really really really bad. Heck they went down to the wire with .500 and sub .500 teams.

This Post:
203956.55 in reply to 203956.54
Date: 12/14/2011 8:14:16 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I don't see it with either of your examples: OU or Arkansas. I think their ranking is pretty spot-on. Nearly every non-biased computer metric agrees. Oklahoma is actually under-ranked according to the data. Let's take the logic of your previous statement a little further: the fact that Oklahoma State's loss was to Iowa State and 'Bama's was to LSU isn't nearly as important as the fact that 'Bama's preseason ranking was higher than OSU's. Neither does it matter that the top 3 teams in the SEC are much better than the top 3 in the Big 12. Preseason rankings biased voters into putting Alabama ahead of Oklahoma State.

Sound ridiculous? It does to me.

This Post:
203956.56 in reply to 203956.55
Date: 12/14/2011 10:40:43 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Who has Arkansas beat to deserve their ranking? You never answered that because there are only 2 teams with winning records that they have beat. You think Arkansas would have won the big 12? That's laughable. Usually the number 6 team in the country has actually done something. In fact, OSU has a better wins resume than any team in the SEC other than LSU. Yes they lost to ISU, bad loss, but who has Bama proven their worth against? Arkansas that's it. You can try to count Penn State but come on... When the best thing on your resume is a loss, that is a bit ridiculous.

You are an A&M fan, you know first hand how bad the preseason rankings are.

As for OU, if you would have read my post it said that now #19 is about right, but not for most of the season.

You talk about computers, but those "non-biased" computers take into consideration the rankings of the teams when they compute their data. Some of those computers take into consideration the rank of the team at the time that the game is played and some take the final rank of the team played at the end of the season. The input data has to come from somewhere.

This Post:
203956.57 in reply to 203956.56
Date: 12/14/2011 11:36:59 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Who has Arkansas beat to deserve their ranking?

<-------------------

Last edited by Arthur Monay at 12/14/2011 11:40:40 PM

This Post:
203956.58 in reply to 203956.57
Date: 12/15/2011 11:30:12 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
lol, nice way to end the discussion. What do you think about your aggies moving to the SEC?

This Post:
203956.59 in reply to 203956.52
Date: 12/15/2011 11:36:04 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
From what I read, the SEC has changed their mind since they are realizing that the current system benefits them greatly...especially if the 2 teams only in the BCS is lifted....then the SEC bias in the preseason polls will allow for more SEC teams to make BCS bowls. I mean, South Carolina is ranked number 10 in the country....for the love of what is holy how do you lose your best offensive player and your QB and still get a top 10 ranking without beating anyone worth mentioning after it happened?????

I'm not sure where you read that and to this point, a quick google search finds nothing at all to substantiate that. I highly doubt the SEC is backing off of the plus-one format, though.

As far as the pre-season polls, puh-leeze. They're stupid all around, but by the end of the season, teams that lose drop and it generally works out. But as far as South Carolina goes, their most recent game was a 3-TD blowout of the ACC champions, who are currently also ranked in the top 15 of the country. If you consider *that* as beating nobody, perhaps you would like to point out what teams that are below the 'cocks that should be ranked higher and point out what they've done?

Advertisement