New player manual?

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
113124.5 in reply to 113124.4
Date: 9/24/2009 10:07:50 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Yes, hence why I said:

I'm not suggesting this as something the BBs should waste time on, but maybe some users would volunteer to help out and put something together? I'm certainly willing to help out.

This Post:
113124.6 in reply to 113124.5
Date: 9/25/2009 2:16:52 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
This Post:
113124.7 in reply to 113124.6
Date: 9/25/2009 2:42:49 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Thanks for trying to help IronDuke, but there seems to be a mindset that such a thing is somehow "cheating" or something.

Also, there seems to be a tendency for people on these forums to not read entire posts but to focus on one or two words or phrases ala

Yes, hence why I said:

I'm not suggesting this as something the BBs should waste time on, but maybe some users would volunteer to help out and put something together? I'm certainly willing to help out.

And the phrase "look at the stickies" is a battle cry of sorts. Even though some of those stickies are outdated.
For instance, in the Important Threads sticky under the heading "Training/Team Management", you will find

Training Speed Analysis (381.1) & (78242.1)

A cursory look at these threads shows that they all deal with the assumption of using 18 year olds and
level 9 or 10 trainers.

Now, unless level 9/10 trainers are a Supporter feature, what good does this do someone like me who can only try to bid for a level 7 max?

Would it be unreasonable to ask that the BB's at least rid the stickies of outdated info?

This Post:
113124.8 in reply to 113124.7
Date: 9/25/2009 2:52:33 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
While the first thread is antiquated -- staff levels have been divided by 2 since then, and level 6 and 7 have been added -- there is still plenty of useful information in the discussion that follows the first post. You can easily adjust what's available there to the current level of coaches.

The second thread is the currently running one, and it also contains an abundance of information, useful for a new player.

And of course, all threads deal with the baseline training assumptions -- lev 5, and 18 year old players. Otherwise, training slows down with age, and with less skilled trainers. In case you wondered about more precise information -- I don't think anyone has it at this point. Traiing is a complicated process which factors in quite a number of variables.

Last edited by GM-kozlodoev at 9/25/2009 2:53:47 PM

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
This Post:
113124.9 in reply to 113124.8
Date: 9/25/2009 3:37:34 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
While the first thread is antiquated -- staff levels have been divided by 2 since then, and level 6 and 7 have been added

Could it not be edited to reflect that then?

You can easily adjust what's available there to the current level of coaches.

Perhaps I am as dense as y'all seem to think, but, how? If, as I'm assuming, you just replace 9/10 with 4/5, why not
just take 10 seconds and edit it to say that? Would cut down on confusion IMHO.

Andof course, all threads deal with the baseline training assumptions -- lev 5, and 18 year old players.

Why? Because they are started by people with plenty of money to go after quality 18 year olds and bid large $$ for higher level trainers? I mean, I could go out and get a level 4 trainer, if I wanted to see my economy reduced by at least 25%.
Now, it's beginning to look like that's what I will have to do. It does make it more challenging.

In case you wondered about more precise information -- I don't think anyone has it at this point. Traiing is a complicated process which factors in quite a number of variables.

I realize it's complicated and, no, I was not looking for more precise info. I was, in my thread in Help, asking
if all this info was available in one, easy to find spot. And please, please, please, don't repeat the
"it's all in there if you look for it" refrain. I know that. I was just wondering if someone had er, distilled, the essential info down, taken out all the useless banter, etc, and posted it somewhere. That's all.

I figured I would get a yes or no answer, and a few "go look at the manual, look at the stickies" type replies, but
I never thought that anyone would insinuate that I was somehow looking for a "free ride" or "cheating" or anything like that.

I mean, in the app. 2 weeks that I have been playing, I have been faithfully going to the forums. esp HELP, and already I have seen several questions being repeated. If asking if there was a streamlined version of some FAQs is somehow wrong,
I guess I'm guilty.

And, I'm not angry (at least not anymore, but I have learned to ignore anything SplitJ has to say in my direction), but I am frustrated. Not over the fact that such a manual/guide doesn't exist, but, rather, because I seem to be looked on as a stupid ass for even daring to ask if there was one.

There is always a silver lining. In this case, I have had contact w/me initiated by a few BB players more advanced than myself, IronDuke among them, and am now getting a handle on the whole training thing.

If I had the whole thing to do over again, I would have just asked for a Mentor in the appropriate area, but that thread just looked dead to me.

Live and learn (hopefully).

Anyway, I never meant to start a big to do and I apologize.

This Post:
113124.10 in reply to 113124.9
Date: 9/25/2009 3:58:26 PM
Overall Posts Rated:

It could, if there is a volunteer to go through 1000 posts of content The best I can do is leave a note in the first post.

Why? Because they are started by people with plenty of money to go after quality 18 year olds and bid large $$ for higher level trainers?

No, because it's the most logical starting point, it's baseline, and all other slowdowns come on top of it. And if anything, the teams with plenty of money rarely train 18-year olds.

I'd offer a longer reply, but I see that you're starting to figure things out, so I guess I'd leave it at that.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
This Post:
113124.12 in reply to 113124.10
Date: 9/25/2009 4:14:54 PM
Overall Posts Rated:

It could, if there is a volunteer to go through 1000 posts of content :P The best I can do is leave a note in the first post.

Pardon me and allow me to elaborate.

What I meant was: "Could someone edit it to say that the assumptions are level 4/5 trainers" in the first post?

To: RiP
This Post:
113124.13 in reply to 113124.11
Date: 9/25/2009 4:16:32 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Despite your handle, you sir, have every appearance of being a saint.

(and, yes, among my other crimes against forumanity, I occasionally double post)

This Post:
113124.14 in reply to 113124.12
Date: 9/25/2009 4:21:15 PM
Overall Posts Rated:

It could, if there is a volunteer to go through 1000 posts of content The best I can do is leave a note in the first post.

Pardon me and allow me to elaborate.

What I meant was: "Could someone edit it to say that the assumptions are level 4/5 trainers" in the first post?

I just did. However, I think this, together with the previous edit by another GM, has caused loss of content in the end of the post

This Post:
113124.15 in reply to 113124.9
Date: 9/25/2009 4:31:03 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
if all this info was available in one, easy to find spot. And please, please, please, don't repeat the

if that the case this spot is overloaded and you won't find the things you need, i believe a structure with different chapter is important even with the information we have(who still ahd a lot of dark holes)

One try to make this, is that:
(22302.1)

And yes i could imagine, that we need some work in some of those threads. My personal favorite for misleading managers, are sadly the newby help sticky with his description with the important skills which are sometimes off the mark(blocking!) - or don't reflect the different strategies.