Help - English > Offense or defense

Offense or defense

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
234190.5 in reply to 234190.1
Date: 1/4/2013 8:57:43 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
My next opponent has three really good guards he startes at PG-SF. Salaries are 60k, 24k, and 37k. Their pf is a sg with the salary of 15k and center is 1k. So with my 27k and 23k big men I am running LI. Ik I am running 3-2 obviously. But my question is do I play my back-up sg at sf or my sf at sf.

My back-up sg has 12 OD, 9 DR but only 5 IS and 4 ID. My sf has 8 OD, 5 DR, but 9 IS and 8 ID. So do I go with defense (back-up sg) and allow my 12/13/12 and 12/11/11 center and pf handle it? If I start that back-up shooting guard my PG-SF would all have 12 OD.

The difference between a mediocre and proficient IS on your SF against your opponent's inside efense (sic) matters not one bit. The 12 OD is absolutely preferable. The way you win this game is pounding low and scoring easily over his pathetic inside presence, and then pulling down a ton of offensive boards as well.

If you have a fourth guy with that level of OD, I'd consider suggesting a 1-3-1. But the 3-2 should be good enough to slow him down enough to pull out the victory.

This Post:
234190.6 in reply to 234190.1
Date: 1/4/2013 9:08:36 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
this should be verified, but i've read that when you go 3-2, your PG-SG-SF will defend against outside shooters and ball handlers, but i am not sure about their % according to the position on the court (corner/top of the key/ wing)

3-2 is a zone defense (as you already know). so the matchups won't be "exactly" made by players' positions (sg/sf etc) but rather by the ball holder's position on the court (corner/top of the key/ wing).

the best your [pg+sg+sf] OD skill is, the most efficient your 3-2 zone will be.

i think you will need to find out your best lineup defensively (PG+SG+SF), and keep a high passing&handling skilled PG so your big men will be given good balls inside.
so if your backup SG is the best in OD, go for him in your lineup. in wich position (sg?sf?), i would say it depends on opponents defense.

This Post:
234190.7 in reply to 234190.1
Date: 1/4/2013 10:27:09 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Honestly you guys are all overthinking this way too much, I would just go with your original Starting 5, play LI because his defense down low sucks, and play 3-2 or 1-3-1 because he has no inside scoring or rebounding. You will blow him out by 20. Trust me hes not that good.

This Post:
234190.9 in reply to 234190.8
Date: 1/5/2013 9:42:00 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Well I won!

(52658304)

I do have a few questions? How can they have proficient outside offensive rating and I have proficient outside defensive rating? And why in the world did I shoot 9 threes while play LP against a SG at pf and a 1k center??? Lack of experience by trainees? Also how does a 1k center grab 7 rebounds against a 27k center or a 8k back-up?

Lastly my center has sensational inside shot and he's playing against a 1k center and he only scores 8???

This Post:
234190.10 in reply to 234190.9
Date: 1/5/2013 10:45:22 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Well I won!

(52658304)

I do have a few questions? How can they have proficient outside offensive rating and I have proficient outside defensive rating? And why in the world did I shoot 9 threes while play LP against a SG at pf and a 1k center??? Lack of experience by trainees? Also how does a 1k center grab 7 rebounds against a 27k center or a 8k back-up?

Lastly my center has sensational inside shot and he's playing against a 1k center and he only scores 8???

They can have a proficient outside shooting rating by having a crapload of JS and JR at the 1, 2 and 3 and running an outside offense. Likewise, proficient OD is fairly easily accomplished in a 3-2 if you have decent OD at the 1, 2 and 3 and good Enthusiasm.

The threes are probably a result of possessions where you couldn't get the ball into the post well enough. Low post is slower and does tend to kick it back out if nothing is there so being stuck having to jack one up late in the shot clock is not uncommon.

The rebounding this is a case where *some* of the rebounds have to go to the other team and if they fall to the right spot then the guy can pick it up. I know I've had guards with atrocious RB get offensive boards. The best way of looking at it is that on shots that you missed, you got 20 offensive boards and he got 20 defensive ones. When he missed, you got 39 defensive boards vs. his 5 offensive ones .That seems quite a reasonable disparity given the ratings - also keeping in mind that since you were both in the 3-2 zone, it doesn't make much sense to compare the C to your C as a man v. man situation.

The zone is also why your center didn't score much - well, that and the fact that your PF was killing it down low.

This Post:
234190.11 in reply to 234190.10
Date: 1/7/2013 9:09:46 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
You have a poor circolation so that make your pg,sg take threes because they are unable to pass the ball in the middle and your PF and C take less shots. Your center take only 10 shots and probably with 5 off. rmb. that means only 5 shoots in action. Add that low post requires more circolation of LI that's explain why your center makes few shoots. He's averaging 0.420% that's pretty low, does he have low driving,handling? because in low post he will take the ball for long time. (sry for bad english hope you have understood everything :D)

This Post:
234190.12 in reply to 234190.11
Date: 1/7/2013 9:53:22 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
No I understood anything, yes he has low handling. I have always prefered LI anyways. But I thought LP would give my pf and center more looks then LI which supposedly results in SF, PF, C which I am okay with 90% of the time just not that game.