BuzzerBeater Forums

BB USA > U21 National Team Debate Thread

U21 National Team Debate Thread (thread closed)

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
242945.5 in reply to 242945.4
Date: 6/10/2013 11:55:04 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
He said he has a pet Eagle. I mean 'Merica son. He shouldn't lose.

Exactly my point. The rest of this thread should be spent talking about how amazing he is and not about who should be elected, because it's a foregone conclusion that he will win.

This Post:
242945.6 in reply to 242945.4
Date: 6/10/2013 11:58:02 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I demand that jazzman47 be removed from the election for blatant disregard of the rules. NT Speech Thread clearly states:

This thread is for speeches only, one per candidate.

And I definitely count two from that ham-and-egger

To: RamQ
This Post:
242945.7 in reply to 242945.6
Date: 6/11/2013 10:28:07 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I was going to vote for Jazzman, but then I noticed this comment:
6. What's the last letter of Worlds? S. What's the first letter of winning? W. What's the fifth letter of my name? A. What's the first letter in giraffe? G. What does that all spell out? SWAG. Nuff said. But Imma finish.

The fifth letter of your name is clearly a M, sir. Therefore you have SWMG, not SWAG. Personally, I can only vote for managers with SWAG, so I am going to have a hard time voting for you.

To: RamQ
This Post:
242945.8 in reply to 242945.6
Date: 6/11/2013 10:40:16 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I demand that jazzman47 be removed from the election for blatant disregard of the rules.
Wait, if he's removed from the election what happens to my vote for him?

Group hug!
This Post:
242945.9 in reply to 242945.8
Date: 6/11/2013 11:17:35 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I demand that jazzman47 be removed from the election for blatant disregard of the rules.
Wait, if he's removed from the election what happens to my vote for him?

BB has established a partnership with the NHL's Department of Player Safety, who will handle all violations of this sort. Given existing precedent and the consistent standards of discipline enforced therein, jazzman47 will either be chained to a flagpole and flogged by a Girl Scout troop with a rusty strand of barbed wire or given a medal for service to the game.

This Post:
242945.10 in reply to 242945.9
Date: 6/11/2013 7:37:00 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
You know, just because I win every thread I post in shouldn't be an excuse for it to be garbage time already.

So in the interests of actually hitting double digit posts in this thread, a question for all candidates: let us say that a user has found a remarkable prospect that he assures you will lead to the USA U21 winning Gold, but he has a couple of flaws that need to be fixed. In order of importance, which one of these flaws will you recommend training first?

1. 3 passing on a 7'5 center
2. A terrible haircut combined with a freakishly unstylish head
3. The player being 23
4. The player being Canadian

Yes, I realize this is facetious - nobody 7'5" ever makes it as high as 3 passing.

This Post:
242945.11 in reply to 242945.10
Date: 6/11/2013 8:13:59 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Better planning: Last season, it seems like the USA as a whole did not have a very good planning system and there were not many threads for the planning of games. If elected, I would look at getting more people involved in the planning, taking more opinions, and simply using more charts and strict data base approaches, hopefully resulting in better success than last season’s U21 team.

EBW there is a game planning thread for every single game, including scrimmages, where roster decisions, effort, and tactics are discussed at length before literally every game. Fewmit himself put together a very detailed spreadsheet the managers have used for the past three seasons i think now to help make roster decisions. Wozzvt's charts on tactical tendencies, shot selection, etc also play a big role in our game planning on a weekly basis. All of this takes place on the off-site, for obvious reasons. I'm not sure if you weren't aware of this, or maybe you have something different in mind, but your improvements on our bad gameplanning sound to me like exactly what has been being done for quite a while now, including when we were winning golds and silvers at Worlds.

This Post:
242945.12 in reply to 242945.11
Date: 6/11/2013 10:41:47 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I am a part of the USA offsite however I am still trying to become more active on it. I know about and have looked through many of the pre game planning threads on the offsite, mainly because I found them interesting. I was talking more about roster set up and efficiency of the players as to who would start and play more overall.

Fewmit himself put together a very detailed spreadsheet the managers have used for the past three seasons i think now to help make roster decisions

This I was not aware of. Mainly what I am looking for is a little more consistency and discussion about the starting 5 for each game. It seemed as if for some of the pre game planning, when fewmit would say something along the lines of "Any opinions or ideas about the lineup?" he would maybe get one or two responses (Many of the times yours was one of them I believe haha) and then the lineup would stay the same, probably because not enough people were discussing about it and giving ideas. If he has found a small group of people to assist him with the roster set up and lineups then that is good, yet i think more involvement and participation for lineups could be useful. A few games come to mind when it felt like the rosters could have been tweaked a bit but it didn't look like their were many suggestions on the pre game planning about it. Brasil and Latvia come to mind for me, but maybe I can go look back and realize that there were actually more than I remember.

Last edited by E.B.W. at 6/11/2013 10:50:26 PM

Murray/Harris/MPJ/Grant/Jokic - 2020 NBA Champs

This Post:
242945.13 in reply to 242945.12
Date: 6/12/2013 9:04:37 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
If he has found a small group of people to assist him with the roster set up and lineups then that is good, yet i think more involvement and participation for lineups could be useful.

I see what you're saying here, but it's hard to change that. You can't force people to be active on tactics and planning threads. I myself spend quite a bit of time going over the different tactics threads, but I don't have very much to contribute, so most of the time I just observe, being the noob that I am.

We're not going to see a whole lot of variance on who starts each week either, it all depends on GS really and whether we need to make callups or not. This past season, we had very little firepower, so we were scraping together what we could for each game with very few alternatives. I agree that input from the other members is important, and there are times when we need to carefully think through who we're putting where. My point is that a)You can't force more people to become involved, b)Last season was not a good indicator, c)We're not going to see a significant amount of roster variance, barring injuries, call-ups, or the occasional Chile game.

This Post:
242945.14 in reply to 242945.12
Date: 6/12/2013 11:10:56 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Better planning: Last season, it seems like the USA as a whole did not have a very good planning system and there were not many threads for the planning of games. If elected, I would look at getting more people involved in the planning, taking more opinions, and simply using more charts and strict data base approaches, hopefully resulting in better success than last season’s U21 team.

Haha - so I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea from my irreverent speech. I went back and counted - there are 25 game threads I've made in my time and one thread to talk about the potential game change to SB.

There are spreadsheets in (I think) every one that details the roster update that week, the best call ups available, and opponent scouting. I've done this in hopes that it would remove some of the intimidation that folks might have about participating in game planning by having as much info available as possible without needing to search it out. I remember being new to NT goings on and feeling intimidated to post anything for fear of not understanding the context of what's going on and looking like a goof. So I've tried to remove those kinds if information barriers as well as I can with a lot of details.

But you are right, EWB, there is often not a lot of replies to those posts for whatever reason (never saw any from you ;)). I figure most people don't want to invest the time to get involved in the details (it is a whole other time commitment to the game to knowledgably follow the NTs) and are fine to just know that things are in good hands. I would LOVE more participation though! The more eyes on the planning the better informed decision-making will be. If you have new ideas that would be worth talking about. But what you propose here I don't see as any different than what I've been doing.

Group hug!
This Post:
242945.15 in reply to 242945.10
Date: 6/12/2013 11:20:30 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Trick Question.

In any instance of this question the user is jfarb in disguise and the "remarkable prospect that he assures you will lead to the USA U21 winning Gold" is none other than 35 year old Ricky Logsdon on stilts. So the only possible answer is..

2. A terrible haircut combined with a freakishly unstylish head

Youre welcome candidates.

Advertisement