Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
316048.5 in reply to 316048.1
Date: 8/22/2022 4:22:15 AM
Woodbridge Wreckers
DBA Pro A
Overall Posts Rated:
I actually wanted to make a similar suggestion to make training more intuitive, but a little different and more in line with the current way it works.

So some UX changes would be to place the training options at the top of the page (instead of the training court, that could be below). Also, when you select a training you would see a description of the chosen training so you can actually know what you're doing instead of needing to open the manual for that.

I'd suggest the default option when selecting a training would be the whole team. So if you just select pressure and nothing else, the whole team gets trained in pressure, since that would be a normal expectation.

Then there's another option of chosing focus on positions. You can select any and all positions, and there will also be a description explaning to more spread your focus is, the less effective the training will be. Also, training depends on the game situations the player is in, and the more situations there are, the more effective training is. So if you train OD, your guards will get the most game situations to apply that training while your C gets less opportunities. This could function the same as it is currently, just a different interface and way of chosing positions for focus. I think it will be more intuitive, because if you don't select any focus, your players will still receive training. Currently new manager often have the expectation that their new young talent will develop but they haven't set the right training/playing position combination and results won't be there.

Also, as a small addition I would think it's great if even when selecting a focus on position, all other players receive some training as well. That's just more in line with reality and general expectations, and makes the "focus" more logically (it's not that you set only training for 1 position, you just give extra attention to that position).

Optionally, I would think it would be great if we can build on the game situations, by having training effected by tactics. So if you train Inside scoring, training will be more effective if you use Inside Offenses like Look Inside and Low Post.

Another option to add would be focus on players like you (Eddy) suggests. You can select any and all players, but with the same warning that more players means less focus and effective training.

In short, this suggestion is to change the UI to make it more intuitive plus some optional changes on how training functions.

I made a Google Sheet to show what I mean:
(https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18x0TJIqpOhVa8k9c_h...)

Last edited by Jeründerbar at 8/22/2022 5:14:04 AM

To: Eddy
This Post:
316048.6 in reply to 316048.1
Date: 8/22/2022 6:31:00 AM
Bc Siauliai
II.3
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Bc Vilniaus Siauliai
Now, when you have to collect 41 minutes to 27 and older players it is even harder to train in one position. If you put player to reserve spot it will mostly play more minutes than 8 as a sub, especially if stamina of your starting player is low.

This Post:
316048.7 in reply to 316048.1
Date: 6/16/2024 3:37:09 AM
Sanxia Hawks
II.4
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Sanxia Hawks II
Surprisingly, there is as much as 55.8% support. We should attempt to make a change, and I believe this change will not affect the players currently in training. A more logical and flexible training approach will be friendlier to beginners.The training speed is only affected by height, not by position, which is very good.

This Post:
316048.8 in reply to 316048.7
Date: 6/16/2024 4:31:49 AM
BC Vitosha Sofia
II.1
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Sofia Alpha Dogz
For such a major community-driven change to even be considered, I'd say you need to get at least 75% approval with at least 200 votes.

BBB: 2 (S37 S38); Top tier: 7 (S35 S36 S37 S38 S39 S41 S63); Cup: 9 (S25 S35 S36 S37 S38 S39 S40 S41 S61)
This Post:
316048.10 in reply to 316048.8
Date: 6/16/2024 7:38:35 PM
Jack Sparrow
IV.58
Overall Posts Rated:
And isn't that like asking 100 newbies to come to the forum, read it, and want to vote?

It is clear that veterans do not want this change because the current situation benefits them doubly due to their experience and the difficulty. But veterans are the vast majority of those who vote and participate in the forum.

Even with equal conditions, asking for 200 votes in a few days, I think there are more people than write on the forum in a month.

In any case, the survey would have to be repeated if we want to know the current opinion and if we want it to be significant, the period for voting should be extended to a sufficient number of days.

This Post:
316048.11 in reply to 316048.1
Date: 7/13/2024 11:58:50 AM
Kells Killers
IV.27
Overall Posts Rated:
Coming from Organized Basketball, I'm not sure why we're 'choosing' a select few and ignoring everyone else.

There has to be a way where everyone gets some level of base training Weekly, without just flooding Pops all over the place, with the opportunity to focus extra training on a select few.

What happens when we Train C Shot Blocking? We just sent everyone else home all week, no practice for them, and make sure you're at the game?

How often does on Train for Team things, Stamina/GS/FT? Everyone could use some of that, but we don't even want ANYONE to touch those, because it takes away from 'Building our Bear'.

I know it's beloved because we love this game... but it was ALWAYS a dumb system for Training. Then tying that into Minutes Played in Games compounds that... no one ever got good through practice and developed INTO a Starter? Nope, only Starters ever improve in BB.

If we sit back and look at it as a fan of Organized Basketball, none of it makes any sense. But we're Gamers, so we're here learning the system and then gaming it to our best advantage.

This Post:
316048.12 in reply to 316048.11
Date: 7/13/2024 9:29:02 PM
Holy City Hoopers
IV.5
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Charleston Chuckers
This isn't a basketball reality simulator. It is an online strategy game based on the sport of basketball. I get your point, but am fine with the training system IN PRINCIPLE as a game mechanism. They created resource scarcity (training) so we have to make sacrifices with the goal that they pan out long term. While competing with others in the same environment with the same rules.

I've played games in the past that allow whole team training and it generally leads to encouraging yo-yo training where you stack the entire team with youngest possible players and go for a golden generation when they are all veterans. Not a good game mechanic. And a system that allows such slow training outside of the core group to mitigate this really doesn't add a whole lot, IMO.

Instead, I think we should focus on more training FLEXIBILITY to allow for better competitive gameplay. I fully endorse the original request to select players to train by drop down and then ensure only that they get 48 minutes of gameplay per week to get full training. This would tie in well to your comment about practice. And remove the necessity to play your 19 year old draftee out of position 48 minutes during league play which is just silly. You can keep the exact same rules about how many players per type of training, just make it tie to the training list instead of weekly minutes at a position.

And I've also made posts before about stamina being a % of weekly training instead of an entire week. With a set minimum to force teams to invest in at least a bare minimum amount. Stamina week is the worst week for me and I'd rather see it spread out.

This Post:
316048.13 in reply to 316048.12
Date: 7/14/2024 7:47:48 PM
Kells Killers
IV.27
Overall Posts Rated:
I understand what your saying.

What I'm trying to demonstrate is none of this is intuitive. It shouldn't be hard to understand how to Train a Basketball Team. But that's never the goal here, the goal here is to develop like 1 to 3 guys at a time, and no one else is thought about.

Which means everyone pretty much does the same thing. Trains the 1-3 guys they want, the way they want, and buys everyone else from people that trained them. And largely, there are only a limited amount of builds viable. Because when you can only train 1-3 people, you need to train them just right... you can't really afford to mess around and experiment.

It's hard to do other Systems, because not enough people are pumping out players for those other Systems. You might want to FCP, and you might build your 1-3 guys for that... good luck signing the other 9 you need. No one is building those guys.

So why go against the grain? Just run what everyone else runs, so you can Buy the Players to fit the System. Which means you're stuck Training the way everyone else Trains, so those guys fit the System.

And if you don't realize that really early on, and why would you since that makes no sense, you've just screwed your first Team.

This Post:
316048.14 in reply to 316048.13
Date: 7/15/2024 9:55:55 AM
Holy City Hoopers
IV.5
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Charleston Chuckers
The options are train 3 or train 6. No one is training 1 guy. 90% of people train 3 like you say. Though I train 6 with my Utopia team and have considered it with my main team. Biggest issue is having to play 2 trainees in both league games which is not ideal and your 3 starters have to be VERY versatile to play small or big. But if you are training guards or bigs it can make sense since then your starters will rarely have to play out of position.

You really only need 5 quality players and 3 trainees to be competitive. Or if you do 2 position training then you can get by with 4 and 6 trainees. My primary is homegrown and I can easily train a full squad exactly how I want if I plan it correctly. I'm early in my journey with this team, but I've made it to DII in USA with a mostly homegrown squad on a previous team. And quit the game due to some life issues then, hadn't reached my ceiling. So it is very possible to make any squad you want this way except maybe at the very highest levels.

Most of the time, you train the "unique" players and backfill with generics from the market. This should be enough to play any system you want. And I feel it mostly matches reality. Building a team around a superstar or key players to enhance their skillset. But having the option to train your players during scrimmages and as backups would be a very welcome addition. I'd also be in favor of allowing split training if you chose 2 position training. 3 players training OD and 3 players training IS for example. At the lower 2pos coefficients.

The only point I'm trying to make is that the training is a game mechanism and one I feel is OKAY as is. But added FLEXIBILITY to compete while still training effectively would be very welcome.

Last edited by Gccsteel at 7/15/2024 10:20:29 AM

This Post:
316048.15 in reply to 316048.14
Date: 7/15/2024 10:31:07 AM
Complexo RJ
III.15
Overall Posts Rated:
Summarizing the post above:

I'm a veteran of the game already adapted to the (incomplete) current training system and I don't mind new users having difficulties and that this ends up becoming a reason to give up playing instead of an incentive to stay.
I'm going to argue against everything and fight only for what pleases me, as a veteran who already has the structure in place or is on his 282849 team and not be bothered by the time (and money) it takes to get to this level.

Do you see your selfishness?
It is undeniable that the training system is long-term, to train a top player or make a profit from sales you need to invest millions in the structure + coaches, in addition to following a specific training plan.

This plan is accessible ONLY to those who are willing to seek help from former players on the forum/discord !!!

That is, it is extremely difficult, time-consuming, and costly to train players at a higher level or who will earn you enough money to pay for the costs of coaching them for many seasons.

Do you see how this discourages new users from staying in the game?

It's completely understandable to talk about changes to the current system.
Especially when these changes start by bringing the game's training system closer to what happens in real life.

And the debate must take into account both layers (new and old members), because there is no point in just pleasing the older ones while the game constantly loses popularity.

And I make this post as a person who played between 20-30 seasons before stepping away for a few years and coming back now. I've been involved with scouting for both national teams in my country, I've done draft mapping and training follow-up, etc etc.
So I feel entitled to speak in this more direct way.

Advertisement