BuzzerBeater Forums

Suggestions > Adding competativeness using hard and soft caps

Adding competativeness using hard and soft caps (thread closed)

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
200771.52 in reply to 200771.50
Date: 11/5/2011 7:35:02 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
In case you think that it is not true, then why not removing all assets at the start of each 3-rd season from all teams?
The good BB manager will just get it back faster (as you were trying to say). Right?

Is this a suggestion or just talk? This is a long-term game by design. A change like that would require a huge change to just about everything in the game (the exceptions would pretty much be the game engine, game viewer, some support functionality such as the transfer list, and the forums).

When you join, you compete against the guys who start about the same time in your country. Does this system have problems? Sure. When a country grows very slowly (or not at all), many new users are put in a tough spot. The pyramid shape of the league structure may not be the best option for small countries; for bigger ones it is a necessity. Every season, however, a skilled manager progresses against those who started around the same time and "gets put on the next level of competition" (not necessarily league level). The point is that you are always firstly competing against your peers. That keeps the game interesting for as many people as possible.

If you study the plot I posted a few messages back, you can see various team trajectories that relate to manager skill, short-term spending, "player generations", etc. in my country's top league during seasons 3-17. This is still a fairly limited amount of data, and it is difficult to take a deep dive into the meanings without knowing about the competition in the league and background of various teams. What you can see are stories about "bankruptcies" vs. good financial planning, successes vs. just competing day in day out. The gaps have been closed by many teams, and many more are closing in. Does it take time? Yes, but it is possible and it happens all the time. Here it is again for convenience: (http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/2540/smkorisulwinsinre...).

Last edited by GM-WallyOop at 11/5/2011 7:44:33 AM

This Post:
200771.53 in reply to 200771.47
Date: 11/5/2011 7:41:14 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I've wanted to take another look on the ABBL league and see what is going on there.
There was a claim that it is a marathon that is opened for all, and that a good BB manager will just get to the top league and win the championship. Nothing to do with the assets the older team piled up.

I looked at the ABBL "Great 8" conference of season 4.
I've wanted to see how they left the game and did not stay to "rule" by their assets.
Here are the results:

1) Cool cats - Played until season 14 in this league.
On that season they have left the game or left the game only after being relegated from it.
The first option is more likely as they went straight to IV division.

2) Golden State Hotspurs - similar story.
Here they stayed until season 11 on the ABBL league, and after relegated from this league just left the game.

3) Brisbane Lions - Played in ABBL until season 6, played couple of seasons on the second DIV and then left the game.

4) Doncaster Flames - they are still in the ABBL league.

5) Steves Crocs - left the ABBL early (season 7), and basically managing to stay most of the time in the second DIV.

6) Villains - this was the only season they've played in the ABBL.

7) Kelmy Squarkers - left the game when relegated from ABBL on season 5.

8) budgewoi bulldogs - the only season on the ABBL league.

Summarizing it up.
It is not that a better manager overcome the assets issue and made it to the ABBL league.
What usually happened that a team that had been relegated just left the game instead of easily returning to the ABBL due to their better assets.

This Post:
200771.54 in reply to 200771.53
Date: 11/5/2011 10:34:50 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I'm done arguing with you as I cbfed and don't have the time to rebut every one of your non-points.

If you spent the time you do managing your team rather than trying to come up with ridiculous rules than maybe your team will be able to close the gap faster

This Post:
200771.55 in reply to 200771.54
Date: 11/5/2011 11:40:57 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I'm done arguing with you as I cbfed and don't have the time to rebut every one of your non-points.

If you spent the time you do managing your team rather than trying to come up with ridiculous rules than maybe your team will be able to close the gap faster
When your lake of excuses have been dried up, this is the only "answer" you can bring.

I am managing my team two full seasons and on one of them had been promoted. So, no, the new excuse does not apply either.

And again, if you are such a great manager, and nothing is wrong with the system, why are you so coward about cleaning assets every three seasons?

This Post:
200771.56 in reply to 200771.55
Date: 11/5/2011 12:11:23 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
You shouldn't call other names. I bet you would fing others eager to do so your way soon otherwise.

This Post:
200771.57 in reply to 200771.55
Date: 11/5/2011 12:37:00 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
And again, if you are such a great manager, and nothing is wrong with the system, why are you so coward about cleaning assets every three seasons?

Care to elaborate?

FYI its 3 am in the morning here so I'm not going to spend time trying to argue and research over something that is clearly over your mind.

This Post:
200771.58 in reply to 200771.57
Date: 11/5/2011 2:49:43 PM
Overall Posts Rated:

Care to elaborate?

FYI its 3 am in the morning here so I'm not going to spend time trying to argue and research over something that is clearly over your mind.
Every three seasons (or so), arena size and roster are reseted, you get basically a new team with the size of arena hat a newbie will get.
You are agruing that a good manager makes qualifying to the first league and not assets, so why don't you support that instead?

Basically you are cowarding and giving excuses to keep this advantage that makes it impossible for new teams to compete against those old teams.

It is not "by chance" or time-excuse that you just don't want to answer the given facts that I've brought about the ABBL league' teams.

This Post:
200771.59 in reply to 200771.58
Date: 11/5/2011 3:26:38 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
if ain't broken, don't fix it.

This Post:
200771.60 in reply to 200771.59
Date: 11/5/2011 4:46:38 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
1) It is broken, and I've proved it.
In case I was wrong, you would have come with an argument that proves me wrong.
In any case, BBs will not chose upon you idea or mine, and will look at the content of the arguments and their reliability.

2) With this spirit that your words implying, inventions would not have happened from the birth of the world.
Thank god that people like Galileo Galiley lived and did not listen to voices like the one you are now speaking of.

This Post:
200771.62 in reply to 200771.61
Date: 11/6/2011 7:36:56 AM
Overall Posts Rated:

Care to elaborate?

Every three seasons (or so), arena size and roster are reseted, you get basically a new team with the size of arena hat a newbie will get.
You are agruing that a good manager makes qualifying to the first league and not assets, so why don't you support that instead?

This one is funny enough to let the BBs decide :)

i am for this every week, else it unfair for new managers. Even when their games dn't count, cause else they disrupt the competition ;)