BB Global (English) > Draft Order

Draft Order

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
72215.53 in reply to 72215.52
Date: 2/9/2009 10:41:20 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
i think instead of making points and another point and in the end we will be again lose in translation.

the point is drafting players aint a sure thing of what kind of a complete player one is, but the best way to approach this is to get the right information for you to decide which of players listed here can somewhat supplement a teams need.

regarding sam bowie, just because people say his a bust we all label him a bust. but if you read the artcile of the trainer and asst. coaches of his team then you would see why and your understanding will be different.

i remember reading " the poor kid was really bad luck, because he just get injuries so easily". what do i mean, i read that even the slightest turn around in one game did break his knees.

if you say one player to develop he has to have time to really play, he was young yet he couldnt play to his full potential due to his problem. imagine your playing but in your head you have this fear anytime your knees wont hold.

also, some ask why micheal jordan the best nba player wasnt even in the top 2 picks , did anyone actually read or know why? how did jordan play during collage? imagine one of the best scoring guards in college only manage 9 points in his last game and couldnt help his team advance to the next round of the ncaa playoffs?, scouts says he shoots a lot questioning his all around game, reports say questioning his shot selection , but a dominating scorer and you get 9 points?

he had proven in his early years in the nba that he can score, but he did evolve to another player by trying to do other aspects of the game like defense etc etc.

imagine the all time story of bryant reeves , in his college days when you see him play , you can see potential as a dominant big man, he runs, he shoots , he has inside moves and all. but look at him averaging 10 and 10 at best this was before he signed his lucrative offer.

how about boozer, he was a big man with good set of skills in duke, im a duke fan so i know he can pass,good hands , rebounds and all. im shock he fell to the second round but who would imagine him as a second rounder to even get a 10 million offer a year.

all this said and done, its just tells us there is not sure thing but one thing have to change, scouts job is not just to give stats but in a way understand what a players strenghts and weaknesses.

if your watching every year the nba draft, you would hear analyst say this player can play, he has a nice shooting touch, can read the defense, has a high IQ etc, good inside game, lacks game as a finisher, lacks rebounds etc.

the teams that are picking know what this player can do best and what he needs to work on still. its like comparing sebastian telfair and deron williams. you know the risk your taking in by getting this player.

we all want substance that tells us what this player is. since we are already arranging our draft picks.

Last edited by Shoei at 2/9/2009 11:02:30 PM

This Post:
72215.54 in reply to 72215.49
Date: 2/9/2009 10:46:05 PM
Overall Posts Rated:

Better? :)

Oh, was that an attempt to make me feel better after you said I underestimated Patriotism? I missed it.

I would be both proud and excited about one of my trainees becoming a NT player, but as a new player, it isnt the most important thing for me at this time. With a lvl 4 trainer and without the funds to support such a player before he reaches full maturity, it is not a present goal for me. If this makes me unpatriotic, I can live with it.

There is a lot of misunderstanding. I was pointing out that not all arguments pro invest more into scouting are rational. Not that anyone should or shouldn't follow those factors. So the blance of non investing and invest much bgandwagons is kinda unbalanced in favor of the latter. Nothing more.

This Post:
72215.55 in reply to 72215.51
Date: 2/9/2009 10:50:23 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
of course the criteria varies with drafting for further training or immediater selling of the draftees. And you can combine both in one draft - then the position is not so crucial i would even say that the heigh is more important but height is not scouted (which is right).

This Post:
72215.56 in reply to 72215.54
Date: 2/9/2009 10:52:21 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
There is a lot of misunderstanding. I was pointing out that not all arguments pro invest more into scouting are rational. Not that anyone should or shouldn't follow those factors. So the blance of non investing and invest much bgandwagons is kinda unbalanced in favor of the latter. Nothing more.

Ok, but I think this just expands on what I said and isnt counter to it. My only point before was that if you look in previous threads and this one you will see people respond both pro and against, for whatever reason. To me this shows more balance than if everyone thought one way or another. I just dont see a real problem here. Those that dont want to invest are happy they dont invest, and those that want to invest seem happy they invest. Who is losing out?

Last edited by Heathcoat at 2/9/2009 10:52:40 PM

This Post:
72215.57 in reply to 72215.55
Date: 2/9/2009 11:39:39 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Ok, I think I get what you are saying now. Sorry if I misunderstood.

Let me state for the record that I am not claiming there is a 50/50 split on this issue, or that because some people believe one way or the other does not make them right. I have no such knowledge. I started in BB the day before last seasons draft, with no investment at all (blind draft) and got a pretty good trainee in Hicks. 19 years old, he will never be uber, but I will make some money off of him and he has played well for me. Pretty good for 0$ investment. Next time I might get nothing. I invested alot in this draft, and will see what happens, maybe I can pull two prospects, as others have claimed, or maybe I wont do as good as Hicks. Not sure.

The fact that there is debate over which is better in several posts is my only indication there there still is no difinitive answer. The jury is still out for me.

This Post:
72215.58 in reply to 72215.57
Date: 2/10/2009 12:16:00 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
if all of this debates comes in as a stalement, which i think the point of this thread is to improve if there are areas that can be improve.

all else is pretty useless for me.

Last edited by Shoei at 2/10/2009 12:16:29 AM

This Post:
72215.59 in reply to 72215.58
Date: 2/10/2009 12:20:31 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
if all of this debates comes in as a stalement, which i think the point of this thread is to improve if there are areas that can be improve.

all else is pretty useless for me.

Which areas are these? Lets hear what you have to say then please.

This Post:
72215.60 in reply to 72215.59
Date: 2/10/2009 1:13:34 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Nobody is going to bitch about players height?? If they are able to tell you what the players best position is after watching only 1 game, then your scouts surely must be able to tell you how tall a guy is (approx.)...

This Post:
72215.61 in reply to 72215.60
Date: 2/10/2009 6:16:27 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I understand how stupid that sounds. You could just have a quick glance at a player to estimate his approximate height. BUT, I also understand that this is a big giveaway for overanalysing managers. A little cooperation and some may gain an enormous advantage. So even if I also would have put height as a major factor in drafting order, I don't want things to be unfair and I think it is the main reason we don't get to scout height... I value a fair, balanced overall game over draft, so I don't think height should be in the scouting reports.

And in reply to a former post: One Joose to bind us all!!!

This Post:
72215.62 in reply to 72215.52
Date: 2/10/2009 10:02:22 AM
Rashmonsters
III.7
Overall Posts Rated:
What's the point of reaffirming that the player is indeed a D- rating?

The point of double-scouting is not to reaffirm the rating, but to disclose the potential. Would you rather have A+ announcer, or a D- hall of famer?

This is an excellent point I had not considered, primarily because none of my double-scouted D's and F's had any potential either

This Post:
72215.63 in reply to 72215.60
Date: 2/10/2009 10:19:46 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
No. That's the same as with skills. Collusion, too easy to get the wanted one,...

Advertisement