BuzzerBeater Forums

BB Global (English) > "zero" rostering - right or wrong?!

"zero" rostering - right or wrong?!

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
144528.54 in reply to 144528.43
Date: 5/25/2010 6:23:07 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Why would you have a problem with that? By getting to Div 1he'd already shown he has a team which can promote already.

Also the way your ideal mechanism works makes no sense to me. Rather, the promoted team should be glad to make playoffs and the relegated team should expect to make them (if competing).

:)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

This Post:
144528.55 in reply to 144528.54
Date: 5/25/2010 6:39:27 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Sounds strange, doesnt it?

There are various things which get promoted team into longterm struggle. Stadium capacity, other kind of players, other kind of staff etc.

On the other side relegated team already have these things, therefore doesnt have to do decisions which put him into any struggle.

If the system offer options to make a mistakes, be it. More mistakes managers can make, better for the game. However everytime is huge mistake (relegation) made without any need for thinking about change in club management, is that manager subconsciously confident about external reasons that it ended up like that. Therefore stick at the same system of playing. And indeed will stick on it if will lose only like 4 games next season, relegated.

Last edited by aigidios at 5/25/2010 6:40:22 AM

This Post:
144528.56 in reply to 144528.49
Date: 5/25/2010 10:01:40 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
i agree with everything you have said but i do have a reason/question why i think the rule should be implemented anyway.

is the player with 0 players stopping every manager that plays him that week from one pos training 3 players (full 48 mins) for that week?

if yes then i think the rule has to be implemented. (or a change of mins for such games or both.)

if no then its fine as it is.

simple

Last edited by zyler at 5/25/2010 10:04:50 AM

This Post:
144528.57 in reply to 144528.56
Date: 5/25/2010 10:07:07 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Well obviously forfeits are stopping other managers from getting 48 minutes for 1 position training for all their trainees.

I think that all that needs to be changed is that forfeited games result in no arena income for the team that forfeits.
Then I don't care whether the team has 3 players or 0 players or 100 players.

Other managers might be annoyed that their trainee only gets 43 minutes instead of 48 minutes in the event of a forfeit, however they should realise that they get a gauranteed win, and they get decent minutes for their players and there is no chance of injury.
So at the end of the day it is probably even.

This Post:
144528.58 in reply to 144528.51
Date: 5/25/2010 11:17:13 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Well, now I'm convinced. Thanks for the thorough explanation, Charles. Yeah, I guess when you break down the numbers like that it does seem to deflate the strategy.

This Post:
144528.59 in reply to 144528.48
Date: 5/25/2010 6:31:05 PM
Overall Posts Rated:

Its no problem either way as long as everyone knows that 'anything goes' and its not frowned upon. It just seems contradictory to add more 'realism' to the game engine and other facets of the game and then ignore other points which often infuriate the majority of your userbase when they point out areas which still don't appear up to scratch.

It isn't realistic that the stadium revenue is almost the same in countries with great difference in BB audeience,but "casually" you doesn't feel damaged by this lack of realsim,right?
As Charles yet said,the "zero rostering strategy" at this moment isn't really advantageous over the other strategies,so I agree with him that this is a situation to observe to eventually take a decision against it.But honestly I don't think that this will be ever a winning stratgey,because if I decide to re-build my team,it would be more intelligent to buy young trainees and training them while playing wiht them in the league,as you would have the same result on the field(to lose),but training your players

This Post:
144528.60 in reply to 144528.59
Date: 5/25/2010 8:30:09 PM
Overall Posts Rated:

Its no problem either way as long as everyone knows that 'anything goes' and its not frowned upon. It just seems contradictory to add more 'realism' to the game engine and other facets of the game and then ignore other points which often infuriate the majority of your userbase when they point out areas which still don't appear up to scratch.

It isn't realistic that the stadium revenue is almost the same in countries with great difference in BB audeience,but "casually" you doesn't feel damaged by this lack of realsim,right?

I dont feel damaged by the no roster effect either. I was even contemplating it 2 weeks ago (well a hybrid version with just a couple of trainees!) - Might see what Charles and co have to say about the end of season salary situation and consider again depending on that!

This Post:
144528.61 in reply to 144528.59
Date: 5/26/2010 4:15:27 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Anecdotally, England has a population of 50 million or so and drew an average of 683005 people to Premiership soccer games on any given game week this past season. The USA has a population of around 300 million and they drew an average of roughly 134000 per week (with 2 less games) for the MLS. For American football with much bigger stadiums and far more interest than soccer the TOP twenty teams in the NFL draw an average of 1.1 million fans per weekend, which is nowhere near the 6 times population enjoyed by the USA. My point is that just because a country is larger doesn't mean its attendances should be higher.
I don't see this as a lack of realism at all.

---carefully steps away from enormous can of worms opening up---

Once I scored a basket that still makes me laugh.
This Post:
144528.62 in reply to 144528.61
Date: 5/26/2010 5:40:14 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Don't worry about the worms ;D
My point with Superfly Guy was that,being BB a simulation,it's normal that there are some unrealistic things in the game,but if they not affect the structure of the game giving advantages to someone,there is no need to change them.Training is unrealistic,but is the same for everyone,so while it's correct to ask some little change in his structure,a major change in it would have enormous effect in the game.There's a lack of "intellectual honesty" when we talk about the unrealistic things of the game only when they could potetntially go against our own interest

Going OT,I can say you that Brazil has a greater population than England,and a nearly similar interest in (european) football,so it would be normal that Brazil has more attendence than England.But the difference is that English Football has an higher competitivity level of Brazilian football(which is however great),so it's more attrcative for the rest of the world,and Premiership is the richer football league in the world.As in BB the major parte of the attendence come from the palace,higher is the competitivity,higher should be the incomes.It's not a relation:
Bigger=Richer but More competitive=Richer
At the time bigger means more competitive,that's the point,when a small country will have the first division at the level of the NBBA,the incomes should be similar

This Post:
144528.63 in reply to 144528.62
Date: 5/26/2010 10:32:02 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
in real life Bigger=richer is not true,and the brazilian league is a lot more competitive than the english league for example,there are about 8 or 10 teams each year that fight for the tittle or that are in a really similar level,but our level is a bit lower than the one played in europe,although some players were nothing here,like Doni and Julio Baptista and became stars there

stoping the off-topic,I agree that the realism argument is bad here,and if in the end the team that uses this estrategy is penalised by the estrategy itself for me theres no problem but one,the training minutes of the other team