BuzzerBeater Forums

BB Global (English) > taking advantage of the mismatch.

taking advantage of the mismatch.

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
31707.54 in reply to 31707.53
Date: 5/20/2008 10:49:58 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Yes, very true. But ksach's point is that height has no influence whatsoever on the game engine, which is not the case in RL, where small, dominant PFs and Cs are not the norm, rather something to be savoured.

I don't have an issue with it, FWIW, I think it's just a symptom of the youth of BB. Give it a few more seasons, and there'll be relatively far fewer small, dominant PFs and Cs, since having respectable ID, IS and RB will be less valuable due to the higher skill levels of trained players.

This Post:
31707.55 in reply to 31707.45
Date: 5/20/2008 12:48:37 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
There is a reason why each training regime has a 'Team' option.

I might be wrong but I don't think every training regime has a 'team'option...

They are not your friends; they dispise you. I am the only one you can count on. Trust me.
This Post:
31707.56 in reply to 31707.55
Date: 5/20/2008 1:01:09 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
There is a reason why each training regime has a 'Team' option.

I might be wrong but I don't think every training regime has a 'team'option...

Whoops, I stand corrected Though each regime can train at least 3 positions.

Last edited by GM-kozlodoev at 5/20/2008 1:02:08 PM

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
This Post:
31707.57 in reply to 31707.56
Date: 5/20/2008 1:10:22 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
yes that is true.

but if you want your center to get his pitiful passnig up, you'll have to do some magic in your line-up. ;)

And for those who believe they do not use it.... the person with the most assists in my team is my center who has strong passing. ;)

They are not your friends; they dispise you. I am the only one you can count on. Trust me.
This Post:
31707.58 in reply to 31707.57
Date: 5/20/2008 1:30:15 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
yes that is true.

but if you want your center to get his pitiful passnig up, you'll have to do some magic in your line-up. ;)

And for those who believe they do not use it.... the person with the most assists in my team is my center who has strong passing. ;)

At least one BB has stated in the forums that they do expect to be difficult for teams to train up non-primary skills unless they're willing to do a weird line-up shuffle. So this is a feature.

For example, you can think of team training for passing as passing training for C that gives you the added bonus of training the rest of your squad as well

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
This Post:
31707.59 in reply to 31707.58
Date: 5/21/2008 9:36:46 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I took passing because I thought there was no team training for it, change it with some other skill then, ;)

Also I am not against the current system, I just tried to explain that what was said in this tread about not being able to train something that is usefull, but not primarily needed, indeed is correct.

This Post:
31707.60 in reply to 31707.8
Date: 5/22/2008 4:06:07 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
It has already been incorporated into the game. The skills are absolute.

Imagine your 5 YO brother was the world's fastest 5 YO. You want him to be rated as legendary. But then when the GE tried to calculate his time for the 100 m, it is going to have to consider both his age and skill.

Instead, BB might give him a speed rating of pitiful. Then when figuring out his time for the 100 m, it just has to take into account the rating, and not his age.

When generating players, taller players will tend to be be given higher inside skills, and shorter players better outside skills. In addition, taller players will train faster at insider skills, and shorter players faster at outside skills. So there will be correlation between height and skills, it just won't be absolute.

This Post:
31707.61 in reply to 31707.60
Date: 5/22/2008 7:24:29 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
that has no connection to taking advantage of the mismatch. I have a center who has 10 rebound 10 inside scorer and is 7'2 and was out rebounded by a 6'4 player. i played look inside and if i was on the sidelines he would have scored 40 points or forced the other coach to make a sub. and if he could not out rebound him then he would have gone yo the bench for my backup.

I'm not saying players cant play out of position but you have a few players in the world that can play at a professional level out of position and stand on there own as starters. Teams can play their players however they want but their should be some kind of reasoning behind it. If you have a respectable rebounder at point guard does not mean he will be a small forward so the GE should take their listed position with their height into affect.

You got to know when to hold em, know when to fold em, Know when to walk away and know when to run. You never count your money when youre sittin at the table. Therell be time enough for countin when the dealins done.
This Post:
31707.62 in reply to 31707.61
Date: 5/22/2008 9:01:22 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
There's nothing stopping you from playing him at PG, and his listed position will not affect his performance.

As far as your 10-10 rebounder is concerned, if the other team has better rebounding skills than yours, he will be outrebounded no matter what. This is almost a universal truth in BB, and it reflects very well the fact that rebounding is a team skill, which stems from the ability of your players to control the space in the paint once the shot goes up.

I don't quite understand what your problem is. You want height, which is an untrainable skill and is absolutely out of the control of the manager, to have an effect in the game? I think that BB has found an extremely clever way to implement height effects in the game while preserving balance and allowing for more interesting gameplay. This is _definitely_ not broken, and I don't see why you're trying to fix it.

This Post:
31707.63 in reply to 31707.61
Date: 5/24/2008 2:38:16 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
What does the height of your player have to do with it? The player is a "respectable" rebounder PERIOD.

If the other player was a "mediocre" rebounder, and was outrebounding your "respectable" rebounder, then that is something that perhaps should be addressed by the game engine.

There is simply no reason to separate out height as a separate skill.

ps I can't find the game where a 6'4 guy outrebounded your 7'2 center (assuming it is Agresta).

Last edited by jimrtex at 5/24/2008 2:42:18 AM

This Post:
31707.64 in reply to 31707.63
Date: 5/25/2008 3:59:15 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Yeah. The basketball game is not a competition of "who is taller?" The game engine doesnt have to ask that question, and it really shouldn't. Imagine the game engine asking: "How tall is the player?", "How fast is he?", "How high can he jump?", "How well can he box out his oponent?", etc. No, that's ridiculous. We would have 100 skills per player.

The question it asks is "Who will get this rebound?" and to answer that it exists the skill of rebounding, which is there to represent all of this in a simple and summarized way. And it is clear that height is one of the things considered inside the skill of rebounding, because of how the training works.

Advertisement