Date: 8/6/2009 6:01:08 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
if you use wrong defense, you can win if you have:
- Better player.
- Home court adventage
- Better GS
- Better Enthusiasm
- Normal vs Tie
People only have a look tactics and califications but not the other aspects of the game.
Zone defense seem works as a real zone defense.
- If you use a 3-2 zone, outside player must be good in both defenses, an inside player be very good in inside defense and some of outside defense.
- If you use a 2-3 zone, inside player must be good in both defenses, and outsidse player be very good in outside defense and some of inside defense.
With this situation i think would have to play man to man and especialize in one of zone defense, not every team could play all defensive zones. The most important player in zone defense must be SF.

This Post:
93604.552 in reply to 93604.485
Date: 8/6/2009 7:02:27 AM
Cruesli
DBA Pro A
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
The Milk
2) It helps a defender alter some shots, which reduces their chances of going in substantially but not to zero." Here, I'm not sure what you exactly mean.

Whenever a shot is attempted, the game engine does a probabilistic calculation to decide whether it goes in. A shot which is neither blocked nor altered might be calculated as having X chance to go in. A shot which is altered has less than X chance to go in (but greater than 0). A shot which is blocked has 0 chance to go in.

I'm a bit behind on the discussion due to a vacation. But is this 2nd option you mention reported as a block in the statistics or not?

Other people can answer as well ofcourse if it has already been explained.

Crunchy! If you eat fast enough
This Post:
93604.553 in reply to 93604.551
Date: 8/6/2009 9:02:59 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
if you use wrong defense, you can win if you have:
- Better player.
- Home court adventage
- Better GS
- Better Enthusiasm
- Normal vs Tie

You have written something very obvious here, you know? Basically you say that winning a game with the wrong defense is more difficult that winning a game with the right defense... thanks god! :)
But according to me, setting the wrong defense should (more than) compensate for the HCA or for the higher attitude.

People only have a look tactics and califications but not the other aspects of the game.

Sorry, what people?

Zone defense seem works as a real zone defense.
- If you use a 3-2 zone, outside player must be good in both defenses, an inside player be very good in inside defense and some of outside defense.
- If you use a 2-3 zone, inside player must be good in both defenses, and outsidse player be very good in outside defense and some of inside defense.
With this situation i think would have to play man to man.

Here I kinda agree. The zone defense seems to be important when you have a weak spot in your team... so that your other players can help defending on that position. But according to me, it is much weaker than before when you field 5 players with similar strength. At least the 3-2 defense, which is the one I know better.

The most important player in zone defense must be SF.

I train SF... and, for what I have seen in these first few games, the importance of SFs has been reduced.

This Post:
93604.554 in reply to 93604.550
Date: 8/6/2009 9:16:57 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
yeah,exactly:toss a coin and chose your defence :P
I know the game you were talking about,I saw them in our national forum,I agrre what you said about zones,but there is a question that you have to consider:If they help the my player who have a bad mismatch in defense(basically the SF),this player have to defend on another of the guards for 3-2/big man for 2-3...the problem is that Sf obviously is a not specialized player,so when my Sf had to defend againt the Sg of my adversary,who often is stronger in outside shooting than adversary Sf,I have some problems in defence
And in many of this game users shout about the superiority of attack on defence,when a considerable part of their shots were taken by players which for their rolehaven't a great weight on valutations,but take a great amount of the shots,and their percentages were very very low:the first example that comes me to mind was the look inside where guards missed a lot of shots and that compensated the advantages take by the choice of the wrong defence made by the adversary

This Post:
93604.556 in reply to 93604.555
Date: 8/6/2009 1:04:54 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Ok, that was revealing.

So, we have been focus the issue badly. We have been discussing a lot on zone defenses but we have never touched a fundamental issue: The players.

Now I'm starting to think that secondary skills where more important than I initially thought. And is not like they were unimportant...

This Post:
93604.557 in reply to 93604.555
Date: 8/6/2009 1:53:14 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I think one of the problems here is that many managers have been developing players who are more specialized than really makes sense for basketball

Some managers have. Many managers have been developing players based on the confines of training system. Not sure if i'd blame the users for playing the cards they've been dealt.

if you match him up against a center who has only been trained in inside defense, he's going to go off from outside.

Training centers at PG/SG is very difficult (or, guards at pf/c). You have two choices:

1 - Train PG/SG with actual guards, attempt to win games and enjoy the match playing experience, get financial rewards from succeeding on the court, etc.

2 - Train a pf/c at guard, concede games and miss the match playing experience, lose money and fall behind off the court, watch as your big players train much slower then the rest. Even then, sometimes your coach will simply take your pf/c you are attempting to train and take them off the court, no matter how explicitly you work to remove that as an occurrence.

This is supposed to be a game, supposed to be fun. It's no wonder so few choose the 2nd option, esp as the GE has until now failed to provide any reward.

"Well, no ones gonna top that." - http://tinyurl.com/noigttt

This Post:
93604.558 in reply to 93604.557
Date: 8/6/2009 2:52:15 PM
Cruesli
DBA Pro A
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
The Milk
you can train your pf/c with the option of forwards right? JS at least.

I'd say Outside shooting isn't necessary since they don;t have to shoot from THAT far and the JS trains it as well.

I see you are trying to say it's not easy. But it's not as extremely impossible as you put it and I for one see it as a challenge that it isn't as easy as just choosing a position and the skill they will train in.

Crunchy! If you eat fast enough
This Post:
93604.559 in reply to 93604.557
Date: 8/6/2009 2:53:13 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
But are not requested great levels at secondary skills,maybe this is not clear
for example,a center with inept/mediocre in Od,handling, passing,JS yet have decent skill for a center,and is not very difficult to find a player with two or three at least of these skills at that level(JS was trained as secondary of IS also)

This Post:
93604.560 in reply to 93604.558
Date: 8/6/2009 3:04:06 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
you can train your pf/c with the option of forwards right? JS at least.

Driving and jump shot, IIRC. Charles mentioned defense, which you can't train without playing you're players out of position.

But it's not as extremely impossible as you put it

I didn't say its extremely impossible. It's difficult enough that it's extremely difficult to do successfully while attempting win (unless, of course, your much stronger then everyone else in your division).

This Post:
93604.561 in reply to 93604.559
Date: 8/6/2009 3:07:39 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
But are not requested great levels at secondary skills,maybe this is not clear

If you get a player that has crappy secondary (or, off-position skill), which now matter much more in the new GE, then it does matter.

I'm all for players being cross-trained and built up to a balanced level of skills. I think it's funny that training system is the biggest hurdle to that goal.

Last edited by brian at 8/6/2009 3:07:57 PM

Advertisement