BuzzerBeater Forums

BB Global (English) > Ask the BBs - Season 22 Feedback topic

Ask the BBs - Season 22 Feedback topic (thread closed)

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
232173.57 in reply to 232173.56
Date: 12/14/2012 11:58:00 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
When you will repair the patient offense? Non-sense if a player attempts 40+ a game with that kind of offense right? It should be outside isolation lol.

Also i wanna see new lines of the commentators. It's so predictable and boring. Just like when the shotclock reaches 0 and the game clock is still running. After how many seconds, mostly 4-30 seconds, there will be a steal. In real basketball, if shot clock is 0, it's already a violation.

This Post:
232173.59 in reply to 232173.58
Date: 12/19/2012 6:24:27 PM
Freccia Azzurra
IV.18
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Slaytanic
Hi Patje, I didn't see this thread one guy in my league told me about it O_o"

May I ask you where are BB-Forrest, Charles, Mark and the other big boss men. Have you intention to improve a lot this game?
Really appreciate the boxscore after the match ;)

1990-2022 Stalinorgel - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV-Xppl6h8Et

This Post:
232173.60 in reply to 232173.13
Date: 12/22/2012 9:43:58 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
About SB ...

I do agree with the "invisible" aspect of developing SB skills for managers and the frustration it could generate for those who train SB skills.
Still, even if i have no evidence (i've been in the game only for 2 seasons : not enough material to compare), i do believe that SB skills complete ID in game engine calculations.
Players with not that bad ID skills will (i believe) defend better if they have some good SB level (altering shots for example, or even making the opponent look for a better position which make the possession last more until shotclock runs out...)

SB impact is hard to measure with actual indicators and figures from played games.

In a more poetic and even philosophical way :

We cannot see the wind, but we all feel it when it blows right ?!
Do we need to see the wind, just to know that it blows harder today than yesterday or the day before ?

I would answer YES, we DO need to see it. It's all about management in BB. And management goes with figures to compare.
I do believe SB skills can make the difference. Is there any manager who can PROVE it ? With actual indicators, i don't think so.

The one and only result of this is that managers won't develop SB skills (as they won't do it for JR) ... until they can see the impact of it and measure it.
We, the managers, need some kind of key indicator which shows (even in an approximative range) the impact of SB in a game.

cheers ! and have a good game !

This Post:
232173.61 in reply to 232173.60
Date: 12/22/2012 11:37:43 PM
HAHA001
IBL
Overall Posts Rated:
1. Can we have our own training ground / hospital facilities? Those facilities could speed up the training and recovery time.

2. BTW, any chance to employ our retired players as a trainer? Start with level 3 , say, then every 4 seasons to upgrade them by 1 level.

This Post:
232173.62 in reply to 232173.60
Date: 12/23/2012 12:56:07 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
BB-Charles had a team full of high SB players before he went AWOL/inactive. Not sure if it worked well, though.

To: HAHA
This Post:
232173.63 in reply to 232173.61
Date: 12/23/2012 10:44:53 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I think you came up with a real gem here, It'd be so cool to see retired player become staff members! Don't know if it's an implementable thing.

This Post:
232173.65 in reply to 232173.50
Date: 12/24/2012 2:18:25 AM
hornets247
IV.5
Overall Posts Rated:
Regarding the question of how BaO tactics works, I missed the older thread, but Marin's explaination had a major problem here:

Take a look at this game: http://www.buzzerbeater.com/match/52648247/boxscore.aspx

I tried a Outside Box and One tactics, expecting my PG who had a 16 OD to pickup the best perimeter threats from the opposition team. Instead, looking at the Play-By-Play, apparently my PF (who is configured to defend C in my tactics) took on the assignment to exclusively defending the opposition SG. This seriously doesn't make sense...

My PF has a OD of 7, with ID at 13 and SB at 12 - He should not be the the outside stopper!

Just to make the case more clear, I had 5 players playing for the game, with the corrsponding skill lvls in OD, ID, SB being:

PG: 16, 9, 1
SG: 9, 7, 1
SF: 12, 10, 8
PF: 7, 13,12
C: 10, 14, 8

The game happened at the start of the season, so everyone was having GS 7:

Can someone explain how did the Engine chose my PF to defend SG in this case? Many many thanks if someone could enlighten me regarding this -- Have puzzled me for over a month now.

Last edited by Bigeasy at 12/24/2012 2:22:31 AM

This Post:
232173.66 in reply to 232173.65
Date: 12/24/2012 9:48:27 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Regarding the question of how BaO tactics works, I missed the older thread, but Marin's explaination had a major problem here:

Take a look at this game: (http://www.buzzerbeater.com/match/52648247/boxscore.aspx)

I tried a Outside Box and One tactics, expecting my PG who had a 16 OD to pickup the best perimeter threats from the opposition team. Instead, looking at the Play-By-Play, apparently my PF (who is configured to defend C in my tactics) took on the assignment to exclusively defending the opposition SG. This seriously doesn't make sense...

My PF has a OD of 7, with ID at 13 and SB at 12 - He should not be the the outside stopper!

Just to make the case more clear, I had 5 players playing for the game, with the corrsponding skill lvls in OD, ID, SB being:

PG: 16, 9, 1
SG: 9, 7, 1
SF: 12, 10, 8
PF: 7, 13,12
C: 10, 14, 8

The game happened at the start of the season, so everyone was having GS 7:

Can someone explain how did the Engine chose my PF to defend SG in this case? Many many thanks if someone could enlighten me regarding this -- Have puzzled me for over a month now.

I can throw out some wild guesses. I love WAGs.

Maybe it's the shotblocking? Perhaps the highest shotblocking is the one that's most likely to be able to get over to the target player in time, and in theory at least most likely to block the shot once it's taken.

The only other thing I have is the theory that the "and one" guy can't be one of the two players who will be on the side of the box that the defense focuses on (i.e., for outside box and one, the PG and SG will already be guarding the outside so the best of the other three is selected). So maybe, and this is a really wild ass guess, if you had your SF set to defend at SG and your SG at another position, the 7 OD + 12 SB was enough to make him a better choice for outside defense than the 9+1 of the SG or 10+8 of the center.

Mind you, this is just me trying to fit the data and the little I've observed before into something even remotely logically consistent. Whether it does behave this way or not is in doubt enough, let alone the more basic of concept of *should* it behave this way.

This Post:
232173.67 in reply to 232173.66
Date: 12/25/2012 9:45:18 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I haven't been able to answer a lot of questions lately, basically because we've been focusing on a few of the larger supported questions in this topic. These include the Shot Blocking concerns and the Fan Survey logic.

As you may understand these are questions that do not have clear cut answers. We need to clear up some testing, define if there is a problem or not, then what's the exact problem and how does this influence other game aspects. Then finally we'll have to discuss possible changes before we can announce something substantial.

Regarding the Shot Blocking, as you already mentioned we do believe that shot blocking is currently well balanced in the engine, although we might agree with your observation that this effect may not always be that clear from analyzing boxscores or match events. We are currently looking at this more closely and trying to find the right direction. Hopefully we can make some decisions on possible changes soon, but more often than not the ideas won't actually lead to the desired results. Personally I hope we can be less vague about this before the end of the season, but unfortunately I cannot at this particular moment.

Regarding the Fan Surver logic, we have some plans to increase the realism of the fan results related to reflecting the relative strength differences between teams better than it does now. But again, these are still plans, nothing definite yet. We prioritize the Game Engine / Mach Viewer related issues (such as the SB one) above the Fan Survey logic change, so don't expect a change too quickly on this part.

I'll be planning to answer some more questions next week. But for some of the more recent questions, such as the ones about how the BB staff is organized I can direct you to earlier posts I made in this topic. Please filter the topic on BB-Patrick to quickly get an overview of the answered questions.

Finally I'd like to mention that we have been working hard on improving the time untill boxscores show. We believe the time to boxscores has improved due to these changes, and we expect that they will further improve after we finished the optimizing. Personally I'm no programmer, but I'll try to word the 'new upcoming changes' as well as possible.
We plan to start testing the insertion of some 'temporary' boxscores that if everything goes well of course will be the definitive boxscores. However, the setback is that since games are ran in batches if a game in the end of the batch crashes the entire batch is reran; it could be the case that some temporary boxscores in the beginning of the batch already show, and they will be overwritten again if the entire batch needs to be reran. This may result in some different numbers than before, but since game engine batches rarely crash we believe this will be ok.

So, long wall of text,

Merry Christmas to all who celebrate,

Regards,

Patrick

Advertisement