Bugs, bugs, bugs > Inside Isolation

Inside Isolation

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
225490.7 in reply to 225490.5
Date: 8/27/2012 5:00:05 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
First WallyOop i appricate your explain but in the bottom line u say that the tactic uncluse stuff that are not explained in the manual(the team also need to pass the ball to the big guys)and that's a part i think MUST be included in the manual to prevent confusion

Isolation offenses: The team will try to find their best offensive player and clear out an area for him to create his own shot.

The manual needs to be taken into account as a whole. It should anyway be quite clear that there are interactions with your own team mates and the opponents.

also my SG alone took 12 shoots to 3 point in an inside Isolation game tactic that alone show in my opinion that the this tactic is not working as it should be...

No. This fact more likely points you to problems in matching your players' skills with the chosen tactics. Your team is instructed to find their best offensive player inside, yet your SG happily goes 0-12 from the three-point line. Why? Simply looking at the stats, it could be a sympton of a bug as you believe, but more likely your SG is forced into taking bad shots. While it is important to understand that we are looking at a single game (that was not even randomly chosen), would you not expect him to score on some (like 2 or 3) of those 12 shots if he was just concentrating on outside game and not caring about the tactics? I mean, your outside rating is better than your inside rating in this game, and your SG has not a single time been worse from the three-point line than in this game all the way since season 14 when he started.

This Post:
225490.8 in reply to 225490.6
Date: 8/27/2012 5:01:00 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Ok then the manual should say "This tactic look to find the best inside shooter\bad inside defender rate.

and i dont know it but my SG got 9 IS and 13 DR so even aginst a 16 ID i ecpect him to do better then 1-32!! and not even 1 line shoot of course...i truly belive the engine wass working bad and not in the way the programers wanted in this specific game,i just hope in wont happen agian.

next time i choose look inside,that tactic at least works.

This Post:
225490.10 in reply to 225490.9
Date: 8/27/2012 8:02:03 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I thought it was pretty obvious that in any offensive tactics your team tries to find the player that. the offense is meant to score. If you got to low flow then they will take bad shots at the end of the shot clock.
And just because you chose to play a offense it doesn't mean you'll win with it or that it will work well. Some offenses actually needs adaptation of your team for it to work well

The other thing that I think needs to be taken into account is that a lot of inside shots normally are passes from teammates to players who are in or moving into a good scoring position. In the isolation, they're not looking for a guy who is open and in a good shooting position; they are looking for a specific player and he may not be anywhere near a prime shooting position. No matter how nice his IS may be, if he's getting the ball 18 feet away from the basket, he'll need to beat his man off the dribble to get to use that IS.

I think if there's a "flaw" here it's that the inside player was unable to create his own shot at an effective enough rate for this game. I suppose if instead of passing the ball up, the isolated player jacked up a bunch of contested 15 footers instead, it might have looked more like anticipated. The few times I've run isolation I actually was expecting the isolated player to get more assists because he wasn't a great driver, but had quite nice passing for a big man.

This Post:
225490.11 in reply to 225490.10
Date: 8/27/2012 8:29:20 AM
TrenseRI
III.2
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
ChiLeaders
I agree with WallyOop, passing and handling of the guards have a big role here. It's not all that is needed but they should be able to pass against the opponents outside defense.
Manon's explanation with matchups doesn't really work (it's not coded that way). Hrudey may be onto something though, there may be some tweaks needed.

This Post:
225490.12 in reply to 225490.11
Date: 8/28/2012 10:29:00 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I would like to know more on how Inside Isolation works,it's clear to me that it not work like it said in the manual.

The think that i hate here is that Outside Isolation DOES work as it is said in the manual...damit! the diffrence with the is so annoying as it should be almost the same but it's sure not.

Last edited by Doctor J at 8/28/2012 10:29:20 AM

This Post:
225490.14 in reply to 225490.13
Date: 8/28/2012 2:05:37 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
(49250023)
The PG that took so many shots was the worst shooter both inside and outside according to the owner. So it seems strange that player is seen as the one who should take the most shots. I sure would love more info on how the one that takes the shots is selected.

Except that, of course, nothing in the manual says that Inside Isolation means that the best inside scorer is going to take the most shots. It means they'll get the ball to him and get out of the way. If that player can not create a shot better than an opportunity he sees for a teammate, and he's got some passing skills, perhaps he passes it off and the teammate takes the shot. There definitely could be more elaboration on how this works but I imagine that most people believe that this is a "get your IS donkey low, give him the ball and he shoots" offense and it seems in practice to be more of a "get your best IS donkey the ball wherever he is at and then let him try to create his own shot or pass it off".

This Post:
225490.16 in reply to 225490.13
Date: 8/29/2012 1:13:46 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
(49250023)

This game features a strong side against a weak one. I bet there were scoring opportunities all over the court all the time for all offensive players. I don't know the specifics of the GE, of course, but I tend to believe the players are given some "free will" (experienced players perhaps more so) to read the game. Don't read too much into a single game.

Advertisement