Suggestions > 5th place game

5th place game

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
134219.61 in reply to 134219.60
Date: 3/12/2010 3:27:29 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Replace tanking to finish 6th with "planning to finish 6th".

Maybe they day trade a lot through the season and keep up their profits and then buy a great team.

My point was that 5th is safe, 6th is potentially disastorous. 1 game less in 5th isn't that important in the long run.

This Post:
134219.64 in reply to 134219.62
Date: 3/12/2010 8:12:44 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Well put!

I can tell you I was in this scenario this season. Consider my scenario:

I was 5th with 2 game left in the season. I knew I had a slim chance to win my last 2 games but it would require me to play perfect tactics as they had superior teams and I was also gonna be playing away. I knew that the guy finishing 7th in the other conference is weak and 6th place would have close to a 95%+ chance of winning.

Rather than trying to win these last 2 games, I decided to tank them. Play TIE and scrubs. It was far more important for me to manage GS and have higher enthusiasm going into a relegation series. Also reduces the risk of injury for my starters. So I set myself up at that point to aim for a 6th placed finish.

I would like to reiterate what you said. You can CHOOSE to finish where you want to rather be forced into a situation. With sufficient planning (scouting other conference 7th team, etc), you can migitate a lot of risk and plan accordingly which position finish would be most benefitial to you.

And Naker Virus...you are in div 4 so that money means jack all to you. But here you're talking about an extra half a mill over the course of the 3 game series!

This Post:
134219.65 in reply to 134219.47
Date: 3/12/2010 8:29:19 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
BB-C,

I totally agree that the monetary situation is fair with the 5th place receiving no income from playoff/relegation games against the risk of relegation. However, I have finished 5th this season, and I think the biggest penalty is the loss of training for 3 weeks. I think an extra scrimmage (no gate receipts) for the 5th seeds to let them get one more week of full training would be a fair option. Maybe give the 8th seeds a extra scrimmage too.

My 2 cents...

This Post:
134219.67 in reply to 134219.66
Date: 3/12/2010 8:34:14 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I guess that would be the 8th place punishment. 3 weeks without full training is tough.

This Post:
134219.69 in reply to 134219.63
Date: 3/13/2010 3:44:02 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I was in 4th last season and I think the money for the away games was as low as $30,000 so the cash is trivial in DIV IV. However in DIV IV in Australia there is nowhere to be relegated to so you would be crazy to come 5th. There is utterly no risk being in 6th or 7th and there clearly is a reward.

On the one hand it is good to do some stamina training, on the other hand no-one wants to do it for three weeks.

You should make every spot up the ladder better. At the moment in some divisions coming 6th is just 100% better than coming 5th.

Even if we ignore the bottom divisions, if you are a good team and you know your opponents you can make an educated guess and work out that if you do tank for 6th then you will 90% be playing team X who you have a 90% chance of beating. Yes things can go wrong but chance is a part of the game. The Virus is right about people buying players at the last minute the team I played on Tuesday in the first round of the playoffs bought a $1,500,000 player (probably the best guy on his team) just a week before the playoffs. Obviously not the best time to buy but as has already been noted those prices do go up for a reason. People do want a last minute boost.

So I agree that adding a scrimmage (5th vs 5th) is an excellent compromise. It really isn't going to change much but it will make the 5th place teams feel better and may prevent some tanking. We know people tank for the draft at the bottom of leagues but that is realistic, NBA, NFL and AFL teams have all been accused of doing it. Lets not provide any additional reasons to not want to be the best.

Elementary my dear Watson.

Last edited by yodabig at 3/13/2010 3:44:17 AM

Advertisement