This Post:
244047.61 in reply to 244047.57
Date: 6/19/2013 5:39:10 PM
Cruesli
DBA Pro A
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
The Milk
Well the last player you posted seems fair. Training a player this multiskilled is hard. Very hard. So the reward that you get a salary-effective player is correct.

Personally I think it's fine that the hard work of training an SF is rewarded this way. And personally I'd prefer the second player over the first.

Crunchy! If you eat fast enough
This Post:
244047.62 in reply to 244047.59
Date: 6/19/2013 5:59:05 PM
Infested Warriors
II.2
Overall Posts Rated:
Just try imagine LeBron James and his inside attack (layups, dunks, ally oops, low post offense,etc) and somebody told you "this skills are not that good to pay a cent for it" or "anybody can do that, you don't need potential at all"
And we are talking about SF not guards nor shooting guards.

I'm not saying that IS need to cost exactly the same that JR. Not at all. I'm saying that it's crazy IS it's almost free for SF.
The potential formula says 1 pop in JR = 7 pop in IS for SF; and salary formula says IS it's free for SF.

In my opinion this is the main factor for inside tactics domination.

This Post:
244047.65 in reply to 244047.64
Date: 6/20/2013 9:41:14 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
^ When people complain about players shooting FT when they are not in the game, we're told it's a viewer bug.
When a team scores after dribbling the ball for 40 seconds, it's a viewer bug. etc..

How about when BB's tell us that box scores would appear faster after the game, but that it may still change after some minutes, so we can't take initial box score as fact.

Sounds to me like two entities working to appear coherent with one another.

The parameters they share was just an extreme example. The main point was that I don't believe the viewer probes inside the GE other than after the game is calculated. But sure, it can probe for things like total number of blocked shots, or individual stats, as long as they exist(?), as long as they influence the next plays(? - if they don't they're just elements of the viewer/box score)...

Imagine people start asking for "points off turnovers" being included in the box scores. Are they going to change the game engine?
Or are they just going to look at player skills and enthusiasm, number of turnovers (assuming it comes from GE) and decide how much of those points scored came from these turnovers?

"Air is beautiful, yet you cannot see it. It's soft, yet you cannot touch it. Air is a little like my brain." - Jean-Claude Van Damme
This Post:
244047.68 in reply to 244047.67
Date: 6/20/2013 7:39:32 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
^ As you'll notice in that statement, as far as gameplay occurrences having an influence on following events, only the score of the game is expressly stated. In other words, you can assume every possession is calculated using the same algorithm with just one variable factor throughout the game (other than recurring randomness factors, applied the same way to every possession). A turnover isn't going to make the player more careful on the next possession.

Of course some studies point to other variable factors like "energy" decreasing with minutes played.

But the point is, your center having the game of his life is not necessarily going to make the opposing center defer to his teammates more than what their relative skillsets initially dictate. In addition, you shouldn't just assume that an increase to the shot-blocking player attribute in the game engine will translate in more blocked shots on the stats sheet, and therefore your approach of judging the extent of GE modifications on the number of blocks in the box score is pretty shortsighted.

edit: It also states the history of the quality of shots the team has seen recently as another variable "amongst other things", so I guess there's that too.

Last edited by Thelonious at 6/20/2013 8:05:36 PM

"Air is beautiful, yet you cannot see it. It's soft, yet you cannot touch it. Air is a little like my brain." - Jean-Claude Van Damme
Message deleted
Message deleted
Advertisement