Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
287453.65 in reply to 287453.63
Date: 9/27/2017 6:39:54 AM
ENSTABOOM
III.15
Overall Posts Rated:
I think you greatly underestimate the attendance boost.

In my div3, a classical promotee who delegated made 500k more than I did over the season and I promoted the new way (was also in the finals so your way would've worked for me too) and more than that, he wasn't paying attention to his prices while I kept trying hard (I even made the playoffs...)

So the attendance bonus is a huge must have in my opinion, I would've rather stayed one more season in D4, I might've made more money there

But I get your point, the playoffs should not be friendly games !

This Post:
287453.67 in reply to 287453.64
Date: 9/27/2017 1:21:46 PM
Durham Wasps
EBBL
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Sunderland Boilermakers
I was going to stay out of this having said my piece but as you can have two bites I'll do so too.

Logic dictates that prizes at the end of the season are given for either an entire season, as in Football (Saaaaawker to Americans), or playoffs as in Football (the American form.) Never either/or. We have formerly given prizes (promotion) to playoff teams. It makes no logical sense to change this to give promotion to the "best" remaining regular season team. There's no precedent for it anywhere that I'm aware of, and just does not make sense.

Of course, there shouldn't be a 5th promoted team for various other reasons I've spoken about before.

This Post:
287453.68 in reply to 287453.63
Date: 9/27/2017 8:59:00 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Well there are some things true from the both sides of the argument:
- Some final game can be "fixed" once both teams see that if the final goes one way, both will be promoted.
- We must think too that is a award for the champion of the league (they will recieve mor money in the final) and most of the times when you are on the final you just want to "bring the cup to your home"

I guess that the actual formula is the best one: all the champions must be promoted and 4 second places is nice too.
I dont agree with the fact of this 4 "luckys" be compared based on the position in their conference (I can be a 20-2 with a 2nd position in the blue and other one be a 16-6) so I guess we could do a diferent formula to determine who are these 4 luckys:

- If you want to be promoted, you must reach the final of your league so no one will do scrimmages until they get the final (and I think this must stay as it is).
- After the final, I think that we should do a "luckys playoffs", that would consist in 16 teams (considering a III division) and then play in a playoff sistem to determine the 4 that are promoted.
- That could be done just next to the final and the enthusiasm of all teams must be fixed (to not have that scrimmages on the final just to get better to these playoffs)

I think this would solve some of the problems, of course some that weaker teams can be promoted and stronger ones remain but at least we know that for a weaker team be promoted they needed to win against 2 other second placed teams from other leagues

This Post:
287453.69 in reply to 287453.68
Date: 9/27/2017 9:11:32 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
The problem is that these playoffs would have to be played on Monday: I don't see it happening. It also means potentially a week with 4 games: not a chance.

It's either Conference rank or Finals as first tiebreaker. Personally I would promote the best of the beaten finalists. The regular season is to determine match ups and HCA, if you are 22-0 you are guaranteed HCA throughout. Playoffs are a different story.

Also, never forget that Finals before conference position and record were the criteria used at the beginning of Utopia.

And the argument that you can buy for the playoffs is a bit moot as some changes introduced in the past make it harder: mostly GS hit and the larger haircut to reselling (so you buy overpriced and then you have to keep the player or make a loss on the trading)

Last edited by Lemonshine at 9/27/2017 9:15:07 PM

This Post:
287453.70 in reply to 287453.69
Date: 9/27/2017 9:23:02 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
We could just do another week of games between the other teams and just do one more week per season.
I understand and it apeers to be fair that way but the issue is that we can see (especially in the lower division with humans- in Portugal is the III) the leagues are just to must diferent (if you are in a stornger league, you will just be harder to be promoted than if you are in a weaker league).

With my idea, you would pass more and would be harder to go through the final because you were on a harder league, so you would have just your oportunity to play fairly for your spot (playing games and not just watching your conference position what can be really really unfair).

I am trying just a most fair solution because in my league I have 3 teams that are trash in my conference and the other one dont have: so its really easier for me to be in a better record if I stay in the same position as people from other more competitive leagues

This Post:
287453.71 in reply to 287453.70
Date: 9/27/2017 9:34:59 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I understand where you're coming from and i agree. There is also a huge disparity in the number of bots per league.

This Post:
287453.72 in reply to 287453.71
Date: 9/27/2017 9:37:07 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Yes I guess this would be the best solution but I understand that it would be hard to do