This Post:
319263.64 in reply to 319263.63
Date: 7/5/2023 10:55:49 AM
Isca Centurions
EBBL
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Dartmoor Pumas
But... if there was a way of making injuries fair and realistic, they should be definitely linked to game shape... higher levels of game shape should prevent or stop injuries (level 9 should never lead to injury, level 8 extremely rarely, level 7 less rarely and below 6 injuries should happen often)... mastering game shape is hard and should be rewarded

Unless you have just bought a player it's near impossible to have someone in less than 7 GS, and most players are in 8-9 GS all season (after the first couple of weeks). GS is very easy to manage for two games/week, it only seems like a challenge for elite teams trying to win three games every week. But even then I rarely see their players in low GS. The above is basically just turning off injuries.
I would like to see a little more variance in GS updates, but I suspect that would be a minority opinion

The higher the level of staff, the more exponentially expensive they are and the less exponentially they give you back.

My understanding was the difference in skill between a level of staff is a roughly linear improvement, although I'd have to double check that.

Salaries seem to also be linear, roughly you might pay $5k for a level 2, $12k for a level 4, $20k for a level 6 doctor. Higher level salaries do increase at a slightly higher rate, but the initial fee for non-coach staff is very small so you can just replace them more often.

This Post:
319263.66 in reply to 319263.64
Date: 7/5/2023 11:08:30 AM
Franca Shoemakers Revival
II.3
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Mito só o da Caverna

The above is basically just turning off injuries.

that's the idea haha

My understanding was the difference in skill between a level of staff is a roughly linear improvement, although I'd have to double check that.

Salaries seem to also be linear, roughly you might pay $5k for a level 2, $12k for a level 4, $20k for a level 6 doctor. Higher level salaries do increase at a slightly higher rate, but the initial fee for non-coach staff is very small so you can just replace them more often.

I really don't have data to base this. What I say is based on the fact that the difference between every coach level is 3 percentual points... a level 4 coach trains at 97%, a level 5 at 100%, a level 6 at 103%... their wages work another way, though, a level 5 coach is way more expensive than a level 4 and a level 6 is a luxury very few can (or should) afford... I guess doctors work the same way, if they don't, well, sorry about that... but they would still suck, since your players will get injured and take a long time to recover anyway.

This Post:
319263.67 in reply to 319263.63
Date: 7/7/2023 8:03:02 PM
Harbor City Storm
III.4
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Lomita Lowriders
I'm fine with dealing with daytrading and "other suspicious market" behavior. But there are better ways to do that, going back to the injuries issue.

When a player gets injured, there should be a way for immediate relief for a team. Because game shape drops when a player is plucked from the market, you essentially need two game weeks minimum to get that player up to speed. By then your injured player is back or nearly back.

The way you address day trading and injuries is to charge either a mandatory 1 or 2-week player salary for any attempted firing of newly acquired player and/or prevent his release. But since the only way a team can possibly address an injured player immediately is through the market, don't render the market useless. And no, purchasing a world-renowned doctor isn't the answer either because you're still locked into the weekly salary no matter what and it offers marginal relief.

Injuries really take away from the game because seasons are short and the impact is huge.

This Post:
319263.68 in reply to 319263.67
Date: 7/8/2023 5:29:04 AM
Isca Centurions
EBBL
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Dartmoor Pumas
I don't think the GS drop really does much for daytrading (that's what the transfer % fees are for). Presumably the GS drop is so teams can't just buy a player in 9 GS half an hour before tip-off.

This Post:
319263.70 in reply to 319263.69
Date: 7/8/2023 6:39:02 PM
Black Light
NBBA
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Capitol Hill Arrows
I'm fine with GS drops (it adds an element of realism, as in the player needs some time to find his stride in the new surroundings.) But admittedly there was another solution for the problem with salary rentals, which is what they do with staff---namely make you pay the salary when you fire them. I wonder why they decided to go two different routes on that issue.

Last edited by Coco at 7/8/2023 6:39:37 PM

This Post:
319263.72 in reply to 319263.69
Date: 7/8/2023 10:54:40 PM
Harbor City Storm
III.4
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Lomita Lowriders
"f your roster fails to compete because one player has a two week injury and misses 4 games (18% of the season) then your team building probably wasn’t the best."

This couldn't be further from the truth. First "compete" could mean compete for a championship or just compete to avoid relegation and one injury can kill either/both.

In the upper tier leagues it is financially infeasible to have redundancy at your starter positions AND compete. I've played this game for 9 years and in the NBBA now, I think I have enough experience to speak from.

It's disingenuous to invoke "real life" here because in real life NBA teams have a disabled player exception and there is a soft cap to help ensure a level of competitive balance. Buzzerbeater has been foundationally built upon the idea that the teams which have been in existence longer have had more tools to succeed. Franchises here since the early days (first 10 seasons or so) had a tremendous head start in building financial infrastructure and arenas. There is no effort to ensure competitive balance but only to minimize cheating. They're not the same. The game shape aspect of acquiring players from the transfer market only addresses mitigation of cheating, not competitive balance.

Also, a player who misses 4 games likely drops 2 tiers in GS. Even if/when that player comes back, his GS will need likely 2 game weeks to return to strong or proficient. It's not just the injuries, there is a lasting effect to them.

Last edited by Dr. Baller at 7/8/2023 10:59:23 PM

This Post:
319263.74 in reply to 319263.67
Date: 7/9/2023 7:19:06 AM
Franca Shoemakers Revival
II.3
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Mito só o da Caverna

When a player gets injured, there should be a way for immediate relief for a team. Because game shape drops when a player is plucked from the market, you essentially need two game weeks minimum to get that player up to speed. By then your injured player is back or nearly back.

Insurance. Teams should be able to buy insurance for injured players. Teams should have their plans and goals thrown into the toilet but at least they could have the option of paying a (small) fee to at least not have to pay the wages of their injured players. This could mitigate considerably the displeasure caused by injuries.

Advertisement