BB Global (English) > Shot Blocking: A Strong Example of it's Effectiveness

Shot Blocking: A Strong Example of it's Effectiveness

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
201992.7 in reply to 201992.1
Date: 11/10/2011 4:42:51 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
It's also true that, when you were losing 87-94, you were able to tie the game because you made 3 3-point shots in the last seconds, while he had poor free-throw shooters and had a couple of turnovers.
Moreover, during the ET the other team had 4 turnovers, and he shot only 9 times (2 made). The only one who scored with a field shot was his Center, indeed (2-4 during the ET for him, not so different from the percentages of his whole match), while his other players missed all their shots (forcing 3pt shots in the last seconds while using look inside is not the best situation you can have...). His other players had been his problem, not his center.

He lost mainly because of turnovers (which is not an effect of the opponent's SB, I suppose) and missed free throws, in my opinion. If he had better shooters you wouldn't have been able to tie the game.

Namely, I don't understand why against Indic the opponent center would have played worse. It would be interesting to see ALL the stats (especially percentages) of his center against Indic and against Arias (I'm not supporter, so I can't see play-by-play). It's not said that Indic's SB has stopped him, maybe the opponent C played at the same way... :)

Just my opinion.

Last edited by Paco el Niño de Piombo at 11/10/2011 6:35:40 AM

This Post:
201992.8 in reply to 201992.1
Date: 11/10/2011 8:15:03 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
It's hard to base SB's effectiveness on a single game. If it really is a very effective skill against LI, I'd buy 2 players with high SB and shut LI down. But it doesn't. I think moutinho tried a couple of high SB players and it was nothing special.

This Post:
201992.9 in reply to 201992.8
Date: 11/10/2011 8:38:47 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
(39745401) still lost but at the end of the regular the opposition have possesion and get SB to make it to OT.

If any one can run a Analyze with moutinho's tool i'll highly apreciate it thanks

Last edited by Coach_D at 11/10/2011 8:40:04 AM

This Post:
201992.13 in reply to 201992.10
Date: 11/10/2011 1:13:33 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
It wasn't really about winning or losing the game, even if I had lost the game I would have made this post with the huge difference in + and - stats. If you watched the whole game whenever the 6 SB was on the floor he was getting dunked on endlessly, not just by the opposing center but the whole team. When the 10 SB was on the floor they couldn't score. It wasn't just the 5 minutes of overtime where the poor free throw shooting played a factor, the other 12 minutes he played through the game were stretched when my defense performed very well. The difference was night and day and it was result in a 40 point +- differential despite Arias having much better rebounding and scoring stats.

You should keep Arias far from the field, then. :)
However, I wouldn't give to +/- stats such an importance. I will take this as example (39221324) (a recent playoff match of mine, not a scrimmage...). There is a 28 point differential between my two centers, without overtime, but I don't think Frechilla is stronger than Guillemin (ah, if you want to know, Frechilla's SB is lower than Guillemin's one :P ).
Simply, during this match my starting five played nearly only against his one, and so my bench players. But his bench players were by far weaker than mines, while Guillemin had to face a player with 250k salary. I won thanks to my bench players, as you can see with the +/- stats, and that kind of result is absolutely normal.
You know, we should know how much Arias and Indic had played against his starting five, the kind of shots their direct opponents made, etc. It's much more complex that what someone could think.

However, I'm not saying SB is useless at all. I just think that having high SB is anti-economical for your team, if you consider the ratio result/cost.

Last edited by Paco el Niño de Piombo at 11/10/2011 1:14:30 PM

Advertisement