BuzzerBeater Forums

BB Global (English) > Growing BB (Referrals)

Growing BB (Referrals)

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
67615.73 in reply to 67615.72
Date: 1/10/2009 7:09:23 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
just tried to invite my girlfriend, she followed the link in the email and received:

Server Error in '/' Application.
The resource cannot be found.
Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Requested URL: /BB/Web/default.aspx

temp problem?

This Post:
67615.74 in reply to 67615.73
Date: 1/10/2009 8:20:58 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
there is a bug forum. I would suggest to post it in there...

This Post:
67615.75 in reply to 67615.74
Date: 1/10/2009 8:39:22 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Maybe a mentoring system could be put in place.

If managers could leave other managers comments;

Friendly and helpful
Argumentative and awkward
Communicative and knowledgeable

or

Someone I like and agree with all of the time
Someone I like and agree with some of the time etc
down to
Someone I strongly disagree with

If managers were graded by others it would help newbies take information they read with a pinch of salt or for real.

We all have our favourite posters (and most hated) and so for others to take lead or work with a mentor you would build up a trustworthy or untrustworthy profile for others to see.

Admittedly i'm rambling now and no doubt falling into the 'controversial but this guy does seem to know what he is doing' category.

Thoughts?

This Post:
67615.76 in reply to 67615.74
Date: 1/10/2009 8:43:49 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
From my experience with the spanish community:

People who leave the game are usually because:

- They don´t understand the game engine. They try to apply their HT-knowledge but it does not work the same way.

- The economy at the begining is very hard so you cannot have a lot of fun because you need to wait to have some savings or to get some good trained player.

I would not support ideas that involve making the game easier in terms of strategy, because I think this is the strong point of this game.

Instead:

- Opening ways for experienced users to help new users and get some kind of profit. The PL idea is good, but we may find some similar and more effective ways.

- Improve the way new teams get the initial money.

####

--> Maybe new users could select one team as their guide to the game. A kind of association, so the success of this new team and the permanence of the team in the game would increase some kind of popularity levels. I have seen many of these popularity levels in the internet forums, where you can have some competition with others to be the most popular and helpful user of the forum.

Last edited by Emilio at 1/10/2009 10:30:48 AM

¡Me aburro! (Homer Simpson)

This Post:
67615.77 in reply to 67615.76
Date: 1/10/2009 11:25:48 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Imo the initial money is fine. Any more and it would be overkill. I'm constantly battleing the new users on TL and most of them are coming in for a week spend their money and leave. I like that it's challenging to make money and the reward is much greater after you have been saving for a month or more to get something decent from the TL.

This Post:
67615.78 in reply to 67615.77
Date: 1/10/2009 1:19:32 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I would not give more money to the new users. I'd give it in a different way so they cannot spend it too fast before they know well how the game is working.

¡Me aburro! (Homer Simpson)
This Post:
67615.79 in reply to 67615.63
Date: 1/10/2009 1:50:49 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
i frankly dont get the distinction between fantasy basketball and a sports simulation... i mean in some sense isn't fantasy basketball a really really lame game engine? where you aren't playing a game like basketball but it is a game, with real life players, that you control.... Maybe fantasy sports need licensing fees too... but I dont see how we would be any worse off on legal ground than a fantasy basketball site.

EDIT: i am not a lawyer... obviously we would probably be sued and thats probably all it comes down to... so i'm not saying buzzerbeater thinks we can do this.

I am also not a lawyer. However, if you think about video games for various sports, they need to get licensing from the leagues to use the team names and player names. I see this website as much more like a video game, where you're running a team, rather than a fantasy sports game, where everything is based on real-world (e.g., NBA) stats.

This Post:
67615.80 in reply to 67615.79
Date: 1/10/2009 2:01:29 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I think BB-Forrest's point is that "everything is based on real-world (e.g. NBA) stats" is not true. Fantasy sports have a point system, and you can have different point systems. What is the legal seperation between a point system and a Game Engine? Both of them take in stats as inputs and produce winners as outputs? You don't control the players, or directly "play" a basketball game.

I suspect that the right legal decision will indeed result in all fantasy sports will need to have licenses, or that all video games don't need licenses. I think right now the sports franchises just want to have their cake and eat it.. they want to charge licenses cause they think they can make money that way, but they want fantasy sports cause they realize it builds brand loyalty etc and they realize fantasy sports would probably die if there were licensing fees and it would be very hard to regulate because statistics are so widely spread. All they feasibly could do is push fantasy sports into the same places pirated music have retreated to. You cannot freely disseminate information and then except people to just consume it and not reuse it to make other things. I think Colbert's interview last week with the copyright author made this point fantastically.

http://ccinsider.comedycentral.com/cc_insider/2009/01/col...

To: Coco
This Post:
67615.82 in reply to 67615.81
Date: 1/10/2009 6:17:58 PM
1986 Celtics
IV.21
Overall Posts Rated:
hmm... buzzerbeater is based in boston you know?

Advertisement