This Post:
320234.76 in reply to 320234.75
Date: 10/20/2023 1:24:23 PM
Johns Creek Wave
III.4
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Holly Springs Haggis
I don't expect to win, so it's more of a measuring stick game for me. And hopefully a big crowd at the arena. Although I've had some exceptionally good training results the last few weeks. I hit the goals the French U21 coach laid out for me a month earlier than I would have expected. But young guys are inconsistent, so I don't know how much that helps.

You have a much clearer path in BBM. Every game is like jumping into a briar patch for me. So my expectations are pretty low for the season.

Anyway, good luck. Should be interesting.

This Post:
320234.77 in reply to 320234.76
Date: 10/20/2023 3:38:16 PM
Cassville Yuck
II.3
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Yuckville Cass
Oh for sure. I am in tier 5 this year. It’s a big leap to tier 4. Good luck and I will be following along.

This Post:
320234.78 in reply to 320234.76
Date: 10/21/2023 9:40:44 PM
Cassville Yuck
II.3
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Yuckville Cass
That was a beat down. Well played G.

To: Yuck
This Post:
320234.79 in reply to 320234.78
Date: 10/21/2023 10:34:52 PM
Johns Creek Wave
III.4
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Holly Springs Haggis
Not fooled

You played a C/PF as PG

I screwed up and played normal, so I lost GS as well

Nothing to be learned here

This Post:
320234.80 in reply to 320234.79
Date: 10/22/2023 11:23:24 AM
Black Light
NBBA
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Capitol Hill Arrows
Some of you may know that this game (Buzzerbeater) is a (not so subtle) adaptation of the soccer simulator Hattrick to basketball. (Indeed I first came to BB from learning it from the Hattrick forums, back in season 3, and then shortly thereafter dropped Hattrick.)
One of the mechanics that was imported from Hattrick is the enthusiasm system (Tie/normal/Crunch Time). Except in Hattrick what we call “Crunch time” is called “Match of the season”.

Ladies and gentlemen, the match of the season arrived … and it was a dud. (NB: no one crunch-time if I had to guess) JCW did what they do best and empowered Sargent to score (with some help from Garces de Marcilla). After a tense first quarter, JCW broke through the Cassville defense. For their part, Cassville was plagued by offensive flow problems and could never get scoring going in the non-garbage part of the game.

I have been joking about Motorcity shootouts, but come on!! 143-163!!! That is an absurd scoreline. I think some perimeter defense is very much a necessary addition. Two O’s top 3 scorers scored 103 points!!!

In another world, my match against X Dominate X would have been the critical match of the Great 8. We had been trading wins and losses: since our match in the first game of the season we had beaten exactly the same teams in both the initial round and the inter conference round. But Dominate decided to fold the season and set up an impressive training program after their loss to Cassville last week. This completely changed the dynamics of this match, which became an easy win for me.

Ashkickers grabs a good win @ Crows which keeps them just behind the Big 8 leaders. There is an interesting situation brewing in the relegation battles. I think all 3 big 8 teams have good chances, but the *ideal* relegation match is to catch the falling botified Doctors or the soon-to-be-bot BlackSheep. I believe Doctors will fall to #6 and BlackSheep to #7. So the Big 8’s 5th and 6th position will be extremely valuable.

In this race, Hoosiers gets a big win against Scrap Heap. Winning away matches is always important. Winning against someone who is ahead of you doubly so. Unfortunately I think this won’t help them all that much because catching up a 2-game deficit is difficult when there are many stronger teams ahead of you.

To: Coco
This Post:
320234.81 in reply to 320234.80
Date: 10/22/2023 3:47:36 PM
x DOMINATE x
II.1
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
x SLAM x
Great summary as always!

Yes IF (injury or luck) I could have got through your team, there was no way I could get through JCW or Cassviile in a 3 game final. The way that they both dominated my team this season, made me feel like changing my name.
So rebuild time!

This Post:
320234.82 in reply to 320234.81
Date: 10/25/2023 12:31:45 PM
Black Light
NBBA
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Capitol Hill Arrows
Many of the questions for the seasons have been answered. Yesterday was a boring day of games. Here are the open questions:

1. Will JCW have a chance going @ Cassville in the conference finals? (They have been saying "no", but well, that was quite the performance they put last week: it will be an exciting end).

2. How will team joust for position and who will draw the Great 8 non bot in relegation.

I'll set aside question 1 until PO time.

On question 2:

- Crows widened their lead on Bulldogs.
- It looks like the non-bot team will be Two O's, as Motorcity and Globo both are now 2 games ahead of the playoff cutoff.

This Post:
320234.83 in reply to 320234.82
Date: 10/26/2023 2:01:08 AM
Johns Creek Wave
III.4
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Holly Springs Haggis
As I said, he had a C/PF at PG. Probably something left over from a scrimmage for training purposes. So I'm not holding out a lot of hope. There's a reason all those NT guys want you to train OD. Good defense beats good offense.

If I had lost tonight, I would have put Sargent up for sale. The team is not in a good state financially. It's in the black after home games and in the red after financial updates. And I don't think I can sustain this for another season in D3. But as long as I'm alive in BBM, there's a reason not to sell. Next week may be a different story.

But tonight it was an OT win. 3 guys with 5 fouls at the end of the game. Going 30-34 from the line kept the other team in it. Half of the 8 FT for me came in the final seconds in OT. All 8 players who played had a positive plus/minus. Not sure I've ever seen that.

On to the sweet 16 as it were. 40K payout tonight. Still seems low considering we get 50K for knocking off bots in Cup games. Can't complain because it is needed.

This Post:
320234.84 in reply to 320234.83
Date: 10/26/2023 4:39:40 AM
Black Light
NBBA
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Capitol Hill Arrows
Congrats on the win!

I did see the tactical snafu, but I still think your win vs. Cassville was impressive. His team's offense might have been lacking, but I don't think anyone else scored as many points as you did against his D.

I'm actually somewhat relieved to hear your financial situation is not totally sustainable. After last season, where I put every resource into a promotion push that failed in the finals rubber match, I needed a season of breathing space. Thankfully my conference's sudden weakness has helped me to go back to arena building with comfort.

This Post:
320234.85 in reply to 320234.84
Date: 10/29/2023 9:29:35 AM
Black Light
NBBA
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Capitol Hill Arrows
So I think the relegation game structure is getting clearer.

In the Great 8, it'll be Two O's in fifth; Doctors of WI in sixth; Blacksheep in seventh.
in the Big 8, it'll be the two Cal teams going against the bots and Hoosiers going against Two O's.

It's somehow both deflating and profitable to play with so many bots in the conference.

Advertisement