Suggestions > About training

About training

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
56824.10 in reply to 56824.9
Date: 12/5/2008 11:24:17 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
What's the problem with quality SF training being a little challenging? There is already a Jump Shot and Driving training regimes for forwards which is extremely effective.

I have no problem with needing to go through a little pain to train them in defense. If this means playing your SF as a guard or a power forward, that's fine by me.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
This Post:
56824.12 in reply to 56824.11
Date: 12/5/2008 11:40:10 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
It's obnoxious currently. It should be no more or less challenging than training any other position. There's nothing special about small forwards, per se.

I think the concept of having to play players out of position to train them is completely unrealistic and a poor game design choice. I've shared this before and the BBs disagree. That being said, a small tweak toward allowing you to train a SF while they actually play as a SF would at least help tilt the training in a better direction, if not be the actual overhaul I think would be more beneficial.

So, can you explain what "a small forward per se" actually is?

The problem here is that since a SF can potentially use both his inside and his outside skill with relative efficiency, he should have all of them and as much as possible. This is not true. As a matter of fact, making the appropriate selection for your SF position accounts for more in game strategy than people realize.

By the way, even with the current training system you can train SFs in ID and OD with them playing at their natural position.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
This Post:
56824.13 in reply to 56824.11
Date: 12/5/2008 11:47:51 AM
Le Cotiche
III.1
Overall Posts Rated:
I think the concept of having to play players out of position to train them is completely unrealistic and a poor game design choice

i think it's an acceptable trade-off, but not for fundamental skills like the two defenses for our poor SF

This Post:
56824.14 in reply to 56824.13
Date: 12/5/2008 11:58:33 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I think the concept of having to play players out of position to train them is completely unrealistic and a poor game design choice

i think it's an acceptable trade-off, but not for fundamental skills like the two defenses for our poor SF

Again, you don't have to play SFs out of position unless you want to. Both ID and OD have training regimes that include the SF position.

This Post:
56824.16 in reply to 56824.15
Date: 12/5/2008 12:35:41 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
1. Oh, but there is something special about small forwards. Unlike other positions, who need one specific and quite narrowly limited skill set to function effectively, SFs can come in all sorts of shapes and sizes. There are multiple viable SF skill sets that can work quite well depending on the situation: you don't have to have SFs that are great in both inside and outside defense or in both inside and outside scoring. Any combination of these can do.

2. I have no idea what you mean by this. You suggested seting up a training regime that trains bot ID and OD for forwards. Ergo, apparently he needs to have more of everything that he can use. On the other hand, as I pointed out, semis-specialized SFs are completely viable (e.g. SGs who are not completely hopeless in their inside skills, for example).

3. Apparently not: being able to easily train your SF in all skills he might potentially need is looking for a way to effectively eliminate the need to make the strategic choice about what skills to provide at your SF position.

4. I can't quite understand your point of view: first, it's about playing out of position, then, it's not about playing out of position, but it's about training speed.

Either way, .5 of base speed is not 3-4 weeks but probably more like 4-5 weeks. OD, at least, doesn't really train at 2-3 weeks per 2 positions.

Last edited by GM-kozlodoev at 12/5/2008 12:38:10 PM

This Post:
56824.17 in reply to 56824.14
Date: 12/5/2008 12:38:30 PM
Le Cotiche
III.1
Overall Posts Rated:

Again, you don't have to play SFs out of position unless you want to. Both ID and OD have training regimes that include the SF position.

i admit i deliberately ignore 3-roles and team training regimes, because i'd like to train my players and actually see them pop

This Post:
56824.18 in reply to 56824.17
Date: 12/5/2008 1:26:57 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
i admit i deliberately ignore 3-roles and team training regimes, because i'd like to train my players and actually see them pop

Right. Well, while I am probably too radical in my defense of the status-quo, the thing that we've all heard from the horse's mouth is that SF training is supposed to be reasonably challenging.

So I wouldn't hold my breath for the implementation of the training regime that is the exact arithmetic sum of the efficiencies of OD training for guards and the ID training for big men.

This Post:
56824.19 in reply to 56824.16
Date: 12/5/2008 1:37:51 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
about 2, but both defenses you need when can't guarantee that your opponent plays with a specific monoskill sf.

And you can not argue, that a 7 in one OD skill was everytime enough.

Advertisement