BuzzerBeater Forums

BB Global (English) > Growing BB (Referrals)

Growing BB (Referrals)

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
67615.92 in reply to 67615.91
Date: 1/24/2009 4:43:11 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Most likely you did as well, but I've noticed that a lot of questions posted in the fora boil down to a couple of unclarities/difficulties new players encounter.

This Post:
67615.93 in reply to 67615.90
Date: 1/26/2009 12:51:31 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Well so the 2nd part

Statistic must be improved !
- Especially Team rating, Matchup rating and the rating of each player (you already thinking about this last at least). They lead a lot of people to think they lost because of "random" probability ! And what do a player who think the game is mess up ? most of time, he simply give up ! In my opinion, Team rating is useless since a homogeneous team will have high rating without being really better. Matchup rating help only to know if your shooting guard was up against a great defender and player rating help only to know if the player defended well or not ... maybe, at least, explain this to newbies ? don't know but something must really be done about those :/
- add more and more stat, always more : why not rookie of the year ? MVP of the game ? ... a survey of managers ?
more options on team stat page ?
- More choice about draft ! what the aim to scout a second time a F player ? be sure he is really that bad ? ^^
- More rating
compare it to players in the division, national and world ... Supporters can already see the leaderboard but it's not a rating
if you consider the best world player at his peak get a 20 in a match, what my player get in his best match ? 10 ? :p
and same go for division and national
- In all rating, change the way you take into account the number of minutes played ! My players don't play that often 40 minutes per game ! So the have almost no luck to appear in the league leader ... too bad for them :p
enthousiasm and opponment level must be taken into account too !

Private League and federation
- Well, first, how I use them ? clic, clic, clic, ... well seems it's here, clic, clic, clic, hmm still not that, clic, clic, clic xD
seriously, why not making a category like the team category ? 1 for PL and another for federation !
- Same goes for the PL schedule and PL forum !
- searching a federation is quite a hard job for now ! can't we have a list of all federation in 1 page ?
with filter option like language, title begin with, more/less than xx users, open to all or invitation only, ...

Supporter options are all about giving an organisational advantage ... But we are very far from it :/

- Add group to bookmark ! automatic one or not, it's not important but when you search a center and a PG on market, you bookmark, your happy :p Afterward, you go back to check your bookmark and it's all melt ... well maybe excel is better at it after all, but supporters options lose a big part of his meaning :p
- Write the right number of caracters left on a BB-mail xD the end is almost all the time cut ... quite annonying when you have a 2nd mail to send for 2 words
- Why supporters can't write longer mail ? we have more thing to say after all xD
- Add the possibility to save some mail and please, don't limit to 50 messages
after draft, we send quite a lot of mail to ask managers to participate on the french national rookies training program :)
but when you have all those mails mixed, a limit of 50 mails and mails which disappear because the receiver delete it ... well, I think I will use some paper to be sure, I keep track of everything :/
- We are still waiting to personalyse jersey for exemple
- Add news of the division ! better than to have to clic again and again to check 15 teams
Team announces would appear in the news of the division too

Well I like BB, charazay and HT because I like training frenchies rookies ! And I must say, this tranfert market is a living hell for me xD
Why can't you add some more filter ?
- end of bid in xx hours or days
- nationality
- little county are in higher division, so they get more income, right ? why not giving to stranger player 10% more salaries ?
- Add the best 10, 20, 30 sell stat

(I don't talk about potential or heigh ... I guess if you didn't add it until now, you must have a good reason :p but still it would be great ^^)

see you for the last pa

Last edited by _Az_ at 1/26/2009 12:52:50 PM

This Post:
67615.94 in reply to 67615.93
Date: 1/26/2009 12:55:26 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
- Write the right number of caracters left on a BB-mail xD the end is almost all the time cut ... quite annonying when you have a 2nd mail to send for 2 words

[...]

see you for the last pa

I wasn't trying to do it but it's a good example ^^

+45 when I'm editing ... after adding the end, I'm still at +25 word left and still it's cut :/

so see you for the last part in some days as I tried to say xD

This Post:
67615.95 in reply to 67615.94
Date: 1/28/2009 8:09:13 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
sorry i did notread the thread just got some questions.
is there a referral-banner which i could put on some websites?

This Post:
67615.96 in reply to 67615.95
Date: 1/31/2009 4:53:57 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Reading the thread most people seems to agree that the game is complicated to get started with, while at the same time they do not want to decrease the complexity of the, as this on the long run is what makes the game fun. This is also my opinion, so here are my thoughts on how to make it easier to get started (whereof some might already have been mentioned).

Use short menu as default
Currently, I think, all new teams start with the full menu as default (I know I did). As this menu contains arround 40 links, whereof some are cruicial for beginners while others are more or less pointless, beginners will easily get lost and get the feeling that the game is too complicated.

Among all those links there is a link to select "Show Short Menu", but as tere are so many links it is easily missed. Thus the short menu should be the default menu, to avoid scaring people.

Essential rules
For the same reason as aboe there should be a short version of the rules, where only the essentials are included. The current rules should also be available (perhaps called "Comprehensive rules")

Basketball fundamentals
Not every country has the basketball tradition of e.g. the US and the Balkan, thus this can build a barrier in many cases. By including simple figures that illustrate the different tactics I think many newcombers will have an easier time understanding the ideas of the game.

Automatic tutoring
A few people have mentioned tutoring system, which I find to be a great idea. However, I think there is a limitation in the number of people that are prpared to tutor (and are good at it). An idea could be to give beginners tips after each game, e.g. tips like

* Did you notice that your oponent played run and gun, but you defended inside? If you had chosen an outside defense (1-3-1, 3-2) you might have been able to stop more shots.
* Your oponents SF dominated the game with 56 points, this could be due to your small forward had very low defensive skills.
* Both teams shot poorly, resulting in many rebounding oportunities. If you had focused more on rebounding you would have gained more ball posetions and chances to score.

This could be available for e.g. the first season or until you decide to sitch it of (I would switch it of quit early I think).

Improved interactivity
There are urently a few things that make BB less interactie then HT. For instance the PMs are not rally visible for other players, instead you have chosen to focus on a (currently) pretty meaningless all star game. Making PMs more accesible for other users and introducing a guestbook (perhaps the press blog is meant to work as that, but it does not) newcombers (and all others too) would see more life in the game, making it more interesting.

In HT they have a "news ticker" (telling you when you recieve a forum post, mail, PM, bids, etc) for supporters. Introducing this for everyone in BB would increase its interactivity and accessibility a lot among both beginners.

The ticker should include messages about forums replys, mails, and your NT PMs by default. For supporters it would also include e.g. bids and friends PMs.

This Post:
67615.97 in reply to 67615.96
Date: 2/1/2009 8:56:38 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Yes, some good idea above ;)

The last part ! And probably the one than you will dislike the most because you already said you didn't want to change it ! but I think it must be said and well, I only translate what the french forum members said

Btw Thanks to SnealyB for his help on this one !

Game Engine
Decrease the complexity isn't the solution ! give us more different strategic option and explain them more ! The complexity isn't most of the time the problem ! But, when you don't understand why you win/lose, then it's a problem ! Honnestly a HT-like game Engine isn't fun at all ! More strategy and less complexity to understand it is the real challenge :)

- Individual orders to players :
+ shoot+/normal/ shoot-
+ shoot inside / shoot outside / balanced
+ defense : aggressive – normal – relaxed
+ offensive priority : often / normal / not often
With this you can play with a very bad shooter without worrying too much

- Strategy and live :
on defense, why not doing a box on the opponment'best player ?
At late game, why not trying more 2 pts rather than 3 pts if your best player is your center ?
add the notion of airballs to the game
add more strategy to avoid to be too easily predictable ! If you train center, your opponment will play you zone 2-3 and attack on exterior. The contrary happen if you train PG :/
add something to know is the strategy made us lose this game or if it's just our players that are too bad :p
add more "game text" to the live, and special actions for players who have reached very high skills

- Enthusiam
+ Get rid of the enthusiasm system ? well if you MOTS, the player shape will go down and if you PICS, it will go up : more realistic in my opinion :p
+ Or reduce it for team which always trade ? I think training and stability aren't rewarded enough :/ a team chemistry ? well don't really know what's the best ...

- Speciality
Add a specialty for players : dunk, soft shooting hand, human wall, great rebouding ... This would not affect training but would be based on the same principle that the “hidden” physicality stat.

How to kill farm team ?
add a parameter player morale which will be based on a division coefficient and the salary of the player
Then Matthiot and his 100k salary would need to always play in the highest division to have a high morale ! a guy with 50k salary in Div 4-5, would be atrocious !

League biggest problem : the 5th place :/
- The economics of the PO and PD system will often result in the 6th ranked team winning more cash than the 3rd or 4th ranked, and the 5th gets nothing at all. This should be changed to reflect more the result of the regular season

6th can get 2/3 income on the 1st match, 1/3 on the 2nd and 2/3 on the 3rd if he "play" well !

In the same time, if 3rd and 4th are eliminated on 1st match (most of the time !), they only get 1/3 !

Even if they go on the 2nd match, they will get 2/3 :D
If you add the draft, the 6th place is far more interesting than the 3rd, 4th and 5th ! Is that normal ?

- You could get rid of PD income ... after all 5th have nothing :/
- Add a reward to be sure the 3rd will always win more than the 4th, 4th more than 5th, ...

Cup
Well, useless for now :/
Hard to justify to a newbie why it's like that :/ and very hard to be motivated by this event :/

Training
Is it necessary to have so much complexity on Training ?
a friend asked me how to train SF
me : no problem, you play PG when you train outside def and center when you train inside def
him : so he never play SF ?
me : *feel very stupid* well in 5 seasons, I guess
He is 100% right ! Why you can't train a SF in his favorite position ? Why so much limitation ?

I will not talk about how stupid it is to train only 2 or 5 players when other are getting drunk at the pub ! Strangely other games train all your player ! so, if it's possible to do a balanced game with it, why not doing it here ?

The e

To: _Az_
This Post:
67615.98 in reply to 67615.97
Date: 2/1/2009 10:23:38 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
true
i liked bb but now i dont really care about a game focused on training few players, with no improvement in tactics

This Post:
67615.99 in reply to 67615.98
Date: 2/1/2009 10:47:29 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Ofcourse you fail to realize that the options in training are for people who do not have young talent on every position. There are options to train 1 pos, 2 pos, 3 pos and team. Pleanty of options to create a balanced roster.
As for the not enough options for games. Yes there should be some more but double teams and centers and forward helping on the driving opponent etc is hard to implement to the current game engine. You should be able to give orders what the coach should do incase of a blowout.
I think giving quarter tactics and player options is a bit absurd in this game. Giving green light to shoot to one player and denie it to all others. Yep those player scores 115 points etc appearances + it would take away the exiting minute managing as you can give better stamina players the order to play more aggressively on defence cutting down his minutes in game to be balanced with others etc.

This Post:
67615.100 in reply to 67615.98
Date: 2/1/2009 12:30:13 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
true
i liked bb but now i dont really care about a game focused on training few players, with no improvement in tactics

What game are you talking about?

It clearly isn't BB.

NO ONE at this table ordered a rum & Coke
Charles: Penn has some good people
A CT? Really?
Any two will do
Any three for me
Any four will score
Any five are live
This Post:
67615.101 in reply to 67615.100
Date: 2/4/2009 1:52:59 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I didn't ask him but I guess he wanted to say the same as me

why some player don't train ? well in HT too but why ? ^^ The example of training 3 positions sound strange to me because the training is really too slow to train "medium" potential. I would have understood than 1 position is 100% training and other 75% for example because your coach focus on a small group ! But why some gets no training ? As I already said, they are in a pub ?

improvment in tactics is a problem because of training too ... if you train only 1 position, it's easy to guess where you will attack ! except if you are a good trader, I agree ;) In my case, I can only play motion and basic offense ! run&gun and push the ball, I avoid even if my players have stamina :/ princeton always make a mess so I guess I have the wrong characteristics on my players. All other will only result in a loss because I have weak C/PF

so my opponment play all 3-2 zone or man to man ... do you think it's a diversity in tactic ? I don't think :/

what can I do ? buy a good center ? I though about it but I don't like to sell my players (I like to train, not to trade). By the way, I brought one ... but I still can't play look inside without losing (I need a good PF for that :))

so it's not improvment in tactics like adding some but try to avoid at all cost to be predictable ... and, today, I can't do it ! am I alone ? :/

Am I wrong ? is there a way to not be a trader and play all tactics ? I haven't found it ...

some example ?
- HT : well no strategy and training not better than here ... I still play it about 10-20 min per week but i'm not really enjoying it
- Charazay : strong point in strategy and all players train ! they haven't problem of players limitations, but it's impossible to get to the max ! I'm enjoying this part of the game but not other parts ^^
- Pmanager (soccer) : very good in strategy and training at 100% for a small group and 75% for others, but players could go a bit too high in characteristics in my opinion :/ I left this game by the way but not because of strategy nor training ;)

What I want to say is they are always strong and weak points in every game ! But I took the time to translate 3 posts of ideas (about 2 hours per posts since I'm far to be a god in english :/) to try to get BB to another level (better I hope).

If you don't like these ideas, I don't care ! ... but it seems a lot of frenchies like these ideas. So why not take a look ? modify some to fit your need ?

Last edited by _Az_ at 2/4/2009 1:53:39 PM

This Post:
67615.102 in reply to 67615.101
Date: 2/4/2009 1:58:09 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
why some player don't train ? well in HT too but why ? ^^ The example of training 3 positions sound strange to me because the training is really too slow to train "medium" potential. I would have understood than 1 position is 100% training and other 75% for example because your coach focus on a small group ! But why some gets no training ? As I already said, they are in a pub ?

Game balance means sometimes not adhering to precisely what happens in real life at every moment.

improvment in tactics is a problem because of training too ... if you train only 1 position, it's easy to guess where you will attack ! except if you are a good trader, I agree ;)

Not true at all.

In my case, I can only play motion and basic offense ! run&gun and push the ball

As of a month ago, this was the breakdown of offensive tactics I had played in competitive games this season:

Look Inside 9, Run and Gun 8, Motion 1, Base Offense 1

Care to guess what I train?

NO ONE at this table ordered a rum & Coke
Charles: Penn has some good people
A CT? Really?
Any two will do
Any three for me
Any four will score
Any five are live
Advertisement